Series 7 Slate cases

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by johnmcd, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hysonmb

hysonmb Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think it will damage the Gorilla glass, but, I'm not risking it. I'm planning to put a microfiber cloth on the other side that will cover the screen when closed.

This was intended to be a standby just so I could have something until the official case is availble. I really don't like having Velcro stuck to the back of the case either but it's getting the job done.

2. mittmark

mittmark Scribbler - Standard Member

hysonmb,
    You have the exact same portfolio that I bought at Staples ($16) for my Fujitsu Q550. How does the S7 fit lengthwise in this portfolio? I'm getting the S7 soon and I hope it fits.

Also, you might be using the wrong Velcro, if they are coming off. I've learned that you need to an industrial strength type (home depot sells it), or you can used the Scotch (3M) Superior Holding Power, 3/4" round "Reclosable Fasteners" (no RF7170X). They come in white or black. I put 3 black loop dots on the black leather portfolio, and 3 white fuzzy dots on the white back side of the Q550 so it matches the color of each.

The advantages of the Velcro are many:
    1. easy to pull in and out of the leather, and insert into the dock, or just use bare
    2. flip the cover over 180 deg. and use it just like an 8 1/2" x 11" notepad
    3. The fuzzy Velcro protects the tablet when laid flat on a table
    4. the lightest weight solution out there
    5. doesn't slip out from the Velcro even after many years use
    6. folio pen holder keeps the pen with the tablet always

I use to use the Velcro trick with my 1" thick Motion LE1700 which got so hot it melted the Velcro glue. That's when I learned that the industrial strength has a higher heat resistance. I can't wait till I get the 1/2" thick S7 and be in heaven again. The grand opening of the MS store in Virginia is Nov 17th, and the Amazon preorder is set to ship between 11/17 and 12/8.

3. jagermu

jagermu Pen Pal - Newbie

I don't think it actually has Gorilla glass. I have not seen this listed in any of the spec sheets. I am thus concerned about scratching.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Gorilla glass...>>

A comment. The piece of plastic or glass that covers the front face of the LCD screen (and is the surface that you touch / write on) is sometimes called a "screen shield." There are several durability aspects to this part of the tablet.

In particular, two important characteristics are "toughness" and "hardness."

Toughness refers to a material's ability to resist breakage, say by bending or impact. Toughness imparts flexibility to a material. Gorilla glass is the trade name for the class of glass materials that have been formulated (or treated) to be tough; they can sustain bending and impacts that would shatter untreated glass plates.

Hardness refers to a material's ability to, in this case, resist scratching. However, hardness also imparts a certain "brittleness" to materials that may make them more prone to breakage. As a generality, toughness and hardness can work against each other, but they can also be successfully combined. An unusual example is Corning's Corelle dinnerware, which is actually a sandwich of hard glass layers with a toughened glass layer in the center.

The point is, just because Gorilla glass is tough, doesn't necessarily mean that it is (surface) hard. Corning is probably doing their best, but care should always be taken to avoid things that might scratch the screen shield.

Finally, be aware that a capacitive touch / pen sensor layer may be installed over the front face of the screen shield, so that you aren't actually writing on the glass at all! The conductive (typically Indium Tin Oxide, ITO) sensor layer is typically covered with a protective film such as urathane, and that may be the surface that you are actually writing on...

5. jagermu

jagermu Pen Pal - Newbie

Dod folks see this official case yet?

Tablet PC Stand Case

I like it. In particular, I prefer the tabs in the corners to hold the unit in to one's whcih look more like a picture frame.

Doesn't appear to have a spot for the pen though. Not a huge deal as I'll probably add an elastic band similar to the HP Slate 500 case. It's a simple way to keep it open/closed.

6. bobp

bobp Scribbler - Standard Member

Also not clear if it will work with the dock...

Really don't want to take the slate in and out of the case frequently - just to use the dock.

7. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

My thoughts exactly, it's why I'm waiting to see impressions of the stand case.

8. Smokah

Smokah Pen Pal - Newbie

9. jagermu

jagermu Pen Pal - Newbie

10. VegasPat73

VegasPat73 Pen Pal - Newbie

Will do. Hopefully it'll ship this week...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.