Series 7 Slate cases

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by johnmcd, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coyote

Coyote Pen Pal - Newbie

Does the Tysons, VA store have them yet?

2. bobp

bobp Scribbler - Standard Member

When I called the Houston store this morning - they said they had just received the stand cases and keyboards yesterday.

I picked up both - still under my 25% off deal (which may end tomorrow).

Even though I already bought the MS 6000 keyboard, the Samsung keyboard is a little more compact - and as the sales person pointed out - I have 14 days to return it if I don't like it.

3. Antfield

Antfield Pen Pal - Newbie

I have already look at the picture of the case many time, and that is still my conclusion. I'm not being a mindless troll bashing Samsung if that's the impression you got. Also, you seem to agree that heat might be an issue. I did notice the central input vent, but I'd admit I didn't notice that there's a gap for output vent. I hope these gaps are sufficient.

Anyway, since there's still no sign of a 3rd party case, went down to MStore and picked up the case today. They had it for a week but they don't display the case on the shelf. I asked them why, and they said because they had so few unit, they hold it behind the counter specifically for people who purchase S7S.

Having the actual case in hand, I would say I am very impressed with the material used. Very stylish and high quality. Make me feel a little better shelling out $50 for it. It is a bit heavy but it's also decently tough, I would not mind throwing it into any bags, with padding or not. The anti-skid on the lid and case is also a nice touch.

Still, it's real shame this thing can't really be prop up at very low angle to let you draw/write comfortably. And the biggest gripe is still the fact that the case can't be use with the dock. It's gonna be a big decision whether to take a saw to this case and cut out the bottom portion for the dock. it might make the case look weird and i'd be worry about compromising the integrity of the case.

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yeah, I think I'm just going to go with a thin sleeve and a screen protector for being my main case, with that sleeve going in a backpack for longer trips.

The Stand Case looks like it'd be perfect if it had both a high and a lower angle, if it let me dock without removing it, and if there was some sort of clasp.

I just know I'll be docked probably more often than not when I'm at my desk, so it's not worth it to me when I can get something that works just as well for my needs for cheaper.

5. bobp

bobp Scribbler - Standard Member

Because of the incompatibility with the dock, I was also thinking about going with the sleeve - but after seeing the stand case today at the Microsoft store - decided to go with the stand case - it's relatively thin and with hard covers on the front and back - provides much more protection than I had with a soft sleeve.

On the other hand, if the Samsung sleeve provides hard front and back protection - I might reconsider...

6. jamesT

jamesT Pen Pal - Newbie

No probs with heat, and I've been using some graphics apps that kick the fan, so it must be venting ok.

Opened up the dock and used it as a kickstand to draw and type all day - was sturdy and at a nice angle. Now I'm using the stand case to draw in bed.

So even though the case could be more fuctional, overall this has turned into a nice setup! Now I just better not lose the damn pen...

7. rangerb3

rangerb3 Scribbler - Standard Member

For those of you that can get them direct from the MS Stores...be thankful! Those of us that had to go through CDW had to end up paying a total of $80 bucks after shipping and I'm still waiting to get mine in the mail!!!

I called the Houston Galleria MS Store to inquire about getting a dock and the salesperson said, "no problem...come pick it up." I told her that I was working out of the country and if she would be so kind to send it to my home in the US....I also asked her to send me a confirmation and tracking number to my email address so I would know when to expect it....They emailed me a UPS tracking number and then about 30 min later I got another UPS email saying that the shipment had been cancelled! I hope they didn't decide to re-nig on the free dock!

They way things are working now...I don't see needing the dock for anything other than to replace the clear Targus IPAD stand I'm using now and have come to like! I really don't think I would spring the extra $100 bucks + shipping to acquire one but, I certainly wouldn't turn down a FREE one from the MS Store where I got my S7S! I don't leave my power brick at work since I currently don't have a second one so, everything goes home with me right now...that may change later on when I accumulate the extra parts or get a FREE dock!!!!.....

8. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

Yes I guess I should have further qaulified that. I meant that in a all around sense. As in when it's in the case, you can't access the dock, etc. Also I find it a pain to remove most devices from cases.

For me the ideal solution is a invisible shield (Zagg) and a sleeve or bag. In the sleeve i linked it's protected, and I have a slot for the bt kb. When I'm ready to use it, I just pull it out and go. When I'm done I store it again.

So to complete the picture for me, I need to find a screen protector like backing with the cut vents for the rear. Mainly to avoid getting scratches on the back. Hoping Zagg will come out with one.

2d

9. anteatereater

anteatereater Scribbler - Standard Member

I canceled my CDWG order and bought the hard cover after a long drive to LA. Here's some things I like now that I've seen it in person:

• Adjustable angle unlike the dock. Now I can lean back in my chair and get a good view
    • Easier to grip. More reassurance that I will not drop the slippery slate
    • I mounted it in my car to stream music. I can swipe the screen in WMP to go back or forward. Slipped a flat-type bungee cord between the flap and hooked it to my sturdy AC vent. Don't try this unless you understand the risk :) There's better mounts out there (try scosche)
    • Material is excellent just like the Galaxy's. It's missing the closing flap that can also be used to prop it for low angles, but my phone acts as a fulcrum for that
    • No improvement on the bevel, but when I close the case and stick it in my bag, the cover pushes on the screen to close the gap when in my bag--no dust is getting in there on my watch!
    • No temperature problems. The case has an opening at the top and one in the back that lines up with the slate's vent. I use Auto fan and it stays at 51C in light browsing, 56C+ with a few videos, then the fan kicks in to regulate--nothing out of the ordinary.

I don't see myself using the dock anymore. Ethernet is out, I don't always need HDMI, and I've cut down on USB since I run bluetooth.

10. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

Whats the weight on these cases ? How much bulk does it add?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.