Series 7 Slate cases

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by johnmcd, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I just picked up the Stand Case at the MS Store in Seattle, WA they have it for $49.99. I really love the case it is perfect and will allow me to leave my dock at work, yay!! The case is well built has vents on the back and offers protection while remaining svelt.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I really love the case it is perfect and will allow me to leave my dock at work, yay!!...>>

...OK. Somehow, I'm not tracking that...???

3. jnjroach

Hi Steve,

I've been carrying the dock in my laptop bag since I received it instead of the foldable tablet stand, now with the Stand Case I can leave the dock on my desk at work.:)

4. Steve S

<<...now with the Stand Case I can leave the dock on my desk at work...>>

...Ah!. In hindsight, so obvious...

5. jamesT

jamesT Pen Pal - Newbie

Still wish the front cover could fold back to prop up the slate at a slight angle. However, if you open the dock, it makes a perfect little kickstand!

This will do. I can deal with storing the pen elsewhere, but really prefer drawing and typing at an angle. Since I will be keeping the dock in the bag, I can work with it. Otherwise, the case
    is nice.

6. 2disbetter

2disbetter Function over Form

I ordered a waterfield macbook air case as they are the exact same dimensions. I dont really like using cases as they add too much width to the device. With this sleeve it is protected while being moved and is easy to use when needed. I have a few other bags from them and have been super impressed.

MacBook Air Smart Case - SFBags - WaterField Designs

2d

7. Steve S

<<...I dont really like using cases as they add too much width to the device...>>

...You might want to go back and read this thread. One of the points of debate is that the Samsung case is very thin and compact. (In fact, less bulky than the WaterField sleeve that you cite...)

8. bobp

bobp Scribbler - Standard Member

Picked up the stand case from the Houston MS Store.

The case is thin - much thinner than the padded Case Logic sleeve I had been using. Plus the front and back are solid - to provide protection to the slate, with felt inside to protect the screen and back.

The slate fastens at the corners. It's very easy putting the slate into the case - quickly snaps in at the corners.

Taking it out isn't too difficult - though I'm concerned that doing that frequently might loosen up the screen.

As for the stand case with the dock - clearly the two were not designed to work together. The back of the case is too thick - which prevents it from lining up with the docking pins and connector. While it might be possibly to cut out a large notch of the back and bottom to expose the slate to the dock - probably not worth it.

One other point that may not have been mentioned before - the case adds a noticeable amount of weight to the slate.

On the other hand - I will feel much better carrying the slate in the case vs. the soft sides on the sleeve I was using.

9. anteatereater

anteatereater Scribbler - Standard Member

bobp and jnjroach--I'm very jealous of you two. The Microsoft Stores in my area do not carry it yet (Costa Mesa and Mission Viejo). The one in Los Angeles has it in stock though but it's too far for me. The one who picked up the phone told me they were originally not going to sell them until December 22! They unraveled it today like Houston and Seattle I guess.

She offered to deliver one on Wednesday but it seems likely the other two locations may already have them available by then--or maybe they do but the workerbees don't know it yet.

10. jnjroach

I heard it through the rumor mill that they recieved them, I called about 5 minutes later, the girl at the store remarked..."boy that news got out fast!!" I was over to the store in about 20 minutes and walked out with the case in about 10 minutes (had to exchange my overheating dock as well).

I really like this case and can see me using it more than the dock...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.