Series 7 Slate cases

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by johnmcd, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

Sounds like my ex!

2. bobp

bobp Scribbler - Standard Member

Since it doesn't work with the dock, if I get one, I'll probably be taking the slate in and out of the case multiple times each day - when going mobile and then getting back to my desk.

Is it easy enough to get it in and out to make this practical or would a sleeve be a better solution?

And do you think the stress of taking the slate in and out of the stand case might increase the risk of screen separation?

I'd like to get the stand case - and get something thinner than the Case Logic sleeve I'm using now - but would like confirmation from someone who has a stand case about how well it works before dropping the $$$...

3. rangerb3

rangerb3 Scribbler - Standard Member

I look forward to getting mine because I seem to be getting a lot of scratches on the back of my slate! At $80 bucks....it seems like a pretty steep price to pay for that piece of plastic....Oh well, such is life!

4. Smokah

Smokah Pen Pal - Newbie

Did a look around today and no sign of local supply of any oem accessories in Australia yet.

5. Antfield

Antfield Pen Pal - Newbie

To those who got one, do you think it would affect the sturdiness of the case IF you were to cut out enough slot at the base to allow for the slate to use with dock with the case on?

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...do you think it would affect the sturdiness of the case IF you were to cut out enough slot...to allow...the slate to use with dock with the case on?..>>

Ant: Took a look at this... and it might work. The good news is that the plastic back is thin, but pretty solid. And the "backrest" of the dock is relatively small. So the cut-out that you would need might be reasonable.

The potential downside is that this might affect the holding ability of the bottom two corner clips of the case... but you might get away with it.

If you are good with tools, I would recommend thinking about a very narrow saw, like a coping or figure saw; cut the piece out and then reattach it with a flexible hinge, so all you have to do is open the cut-out and fold it back before mounting the S7S on the dock. A Velcro (tm) tab would suffice to hold the cut-out closed when you are on the move...

7. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I really would be concerned with heat build up by attempting to use the slate while in the portfolio case docked and charging.

8. Antfield

Antfield Pen Pal - Newbie

A good point. I just notice there's really no opening for the vents on the case. Again, this is why I say those folk at Samsung were lazy with this case.

:|

9. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I've never noticed my slate getting warm on battery but it does in the dock, so using the portfolio while mobile should be fine.

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I just notice there's really no opening for the vents on the case...>>

...Not true. There is a set of slots cut in the back for the one vent and the top edge of the slate "cradle" is open to permit air to escape when the front flap is open.

I suggest that you look at a S7S in the case before you conclude that the case is well or poorly designed...

That said, I hadn't thought about Jeff's point, and I agree that it's a good one...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.