Series 7 Slate cases

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by johnmcd, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anteatereater

anteatereater Scribbler - Standard Member

Not sure what the difference between CDW and CDW-G is, but I ordered mine a few weeks back on CDW-G not paying attention to the actual availability (Samsung said it was in stock). When I called them yesterday on the estimated arrival date on their end, they said they do have some units coming in, BUT, whether you will get yours from that first batch all depends on your order date, which rep you ordered from, and some other logistics. My rep told me that CDW's availability is not LIVE updated (you can view that at this site, not sure how reputable they are in fulfilling sales though).

They also said their big problem is that they are too big. They've got many reps drawing from the same pool of incoming supplies so things get distributed and you might be pushed back a little bit more. So even though I ordered mine 11/3 which to me seems kinda early, I won't be getting it until around the middle of December (worst case scenario).

Steve is very lucky to be getting his already. Maybe that's the difference in CDW and CDW-G--one gets first pick above the other.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. jamesT

jamesT Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got my Stand case..meh. Been using a MacBook Air sleeve from Acme Made while waiting for it. It has an elastic band. The pen clips on and slides perfectly between the strap and the slate, almost like it was meant to be.

It's pretty ridiculous that the official case doesn't have a place for the stylus. Possibly a deal breaker, they're damn easy to lose. Plus, if pen input and touch typing are supposed to be the main input methods, why not have it adjustable to a nice angle for that?

So yeah...meh.

3. Antfield

Antfield Pen Pal - Newbie

Truly. Samsung is extremely lazy on this one. The official case doesn't have pen storage, doesn't lock when close, can't be set up for writing, can't be use with standard dock. It's really not difficult to make all those things work. Asus did it pretty well with their free case.

On top of that they want how much? ridiculous. I wouldnt buy one, but I hope there will be some 3rd-party solution.

4. anteatereater

anteatereater Scribbler - Standard Member

i think i might reconsider this case then. a friend of mine showed me his hard cover case on his galaxy tab. that thing was professional looking: ultra-thin, sleek, multi-functional, great texture and color. it inspired me to look for the same for the S7S from samsung directly instead of going third party. doesnt sound so great now. :/ wish i could see it in person

5. jamesT

jamesT Pen Pal - Newbie

It has these bases covered, just not very functional for how you actually use the slate. There are a few times when I like to paint with it in a vertical position, and it is great for that. Very sturdy.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Let me offer a slightly differing opinion.

I received my case a day ago, and I didn't really look at it too closely until last night (holiday activities having priority, you know...). I think that Samsung has done a good job designing this case:

<> Yes, it's plastic, but the surfaces are nicely finished and will be non-absorbing and therefore easy to clean. I don't know about the rest of you, but I buy a case as protection against dirt, spalshes and spills. Cloth-like surfaces soak that stuff up. This surface won't. Even the inner soft lining of the front cover seems to be without bulk; soft enough to do the job, but easy enough to clean if necessary.

<> It's really thin! I've tried cases for all of my slates through the years, but I've ended up rejecting most of them because they increase the "bulk," and especially the thickness, of the slate by unacceptable degrees. This is one of the thinnest, least bulky cases I've ever seen; I love it!

<> The S7S clips in and out easily, so docking isn't a big deal to me (and PS, how many other cases work with their docks? Only one that I know of - HP Slate 2).

<> There's no place or the pen? You can attach an after-market pen loop or just keep the pen in your pocket (it has a clip). I don't really think that Samsung has been inconsistent here; the S7S doesn't have a pen garage (probably because Samsung was shooting for the thinnest design possible) and neither does the case (but it's also a very thin design).

Contrary to being "lazy," I think that Samsung carried their overall design theme forward in this case with admirable consistency. It may not be all things to all people, but it's good enough for me.

However, I do agree with everyone else that it's overpriced...!!!

7. bobp

bobp Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm strongly considering using my S7S instead of a laptop at work - connected to wired ethernet and an HDMI monitor - which I want to use the dock for - so I don't have to connect/disconnect cables every time I take the S7S to a meeting.

But I'd like to have the S7S in a case when I'm carrying it.

It's been mentioned the S7S is easy to take in and out of the case.

Is it easy enough to consider doing this multiple times each day? (i.e. - is it about as easy as sliding the S7S in to/out of a sleeve?)

And does doing this increase the risk of impacting the screen?

[While my S7S doesn't appear to have the screen separation problem, the screen is raised slightly on one end - and I'm naturally concerned that increased stress on the corners by going in and out of the stand case could increase the risk of separating the screen from the body.]

Having a thin stand case would be an improvement over the padded case I'm currently using. So if putting the S7S into the stand case is easy enough to consider doing it multiple times each day - without risking damage to the display - I'll probably try to get one.

8. jagermu

jagermu Pen Pal - Newbie

To answer an earlier question, I got the Samsung case

9. rangerb3

rangerb3 Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree with you Steve S...Excellent Points! I have the older brother(Q1 Ultra Premium) to the S7S and Samsung built a very nice case for it which included a snap-in spot for the usb keyboard and a stylus holder but it did add quite a bit of extra bulk.

This slate pc was designed to hit all of the other Tablet makers right between the eyes and in that respect, Samsung scored a bullseye in regards to size & specs! The S7S is thin and I'd like to keep it that way...that's one of the main reasons I bought it! I can live without a pen holder or keyboard holder but having overall protection is a must which, I think the slate case will provide!

I have a nice Targus bag that I bought from Radio Shack for about $20 that has a main pocket with a nylon divider to keep the slate and keyboard separated. It also has a side pocket that has pen holders, business card holder and plenty of room for the power brick, Targus clear IPAD desktop stand & BT mouse. I posted it on one of the earlier S7S threads but it didn't get much interest! The Targus model number is BUS0214. It's made of neoprene and has a carry handle. The bag is designed for 10.1" tablets but the S7S slides right into the pocket like it was made to fit! It's a really nice carry bag for the S7S, it's accessories and it's priced right!

I just got my shipping confirmation from CDW that my slate case is on the way....sheduled delivery to my house on 11/29/2011. Sounds like it's going to be a good addition to the family!

10. mgs9500

mgs9500 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got my case.
    Perfect fit.
    Slim, classy, protective and easy in and out.
    I have absolutely no criticisms.
    Overpriced for what it is but there is nothing out there that is even close.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.