Series 7 Slate cases

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by johnmcd, Oct 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnmcd

johnmcd Scribbler - Standard Member

I tend to be somewhat obsessive about cases for my devices (much to my wife's chagrin), so I made a wooden mock-up of the S4 (my new name for the Samsung Series Seven Slate :cool:) to see how it fits various cases I have sitting around. Some good news:

- An A4-sized case fits the slate nicely, with an inch or so left over on the width (perfect for storing the pen). A4's not a size that's commonly available in the US (I happen to have some from various trips to Europe and Aisa), but it's available from a number of places online. I have a Dr. Ion A4 portfolio case that I picked up in Japan that fits well and has exterior pockets that'll hold the docking station, pens, etc.; it's not padded but it should be able to hold the S4 in a neoprene slip case inside with no problem. It's available online at Rakuten: If Dr. Wakil Stationery Stationery - ion Kutsuwa 104DRBK black A4 size - Multi-Work Case- Shopping Japanese products from Japan
    - The S4 is almost exactly the same size as the 11" Macbook Air, and there are hundreds of cases available for that.

I realize that we'll probably see some third-party options for the S4 sometime after it starts shipping, but I'd hate to carry it around unprotected until they become available.

John

2. johnmcd

Oops - that link to the Dr. Ion case only ships to Japan. Sorry about that.

John

3. sacvql

sacvql Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks, john for the info on the A4 size.
    you are absolutely correct about the 11" MacAir.
    I bought this case for it (it's made for the MacAir)

Review: Moshi Muse Sleeve for Macbook Air 11'' - YouTube

4. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's too bad that there's not likely to be any slim bumper type cases, or even better something like the iPad2 SmartCover. That'd be more than enough for me, honestly, I just don't see it happening.

5. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I bought a Leather Writing Portfolio from OfficeMax for $15, it zips around and matches my leather messenger bag :)

33486 Cambridge® Zipper Padfolio

Took the Paper out and it works well, even a place for the stylus....

6. g2tl

g2tl Scribbler - Standard Member

Can you post some photos?
    Thanks

7. alvarez13

alvarez13 Scribbler - Standard Member

8. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

I will be able to post some photos in a bit, the machine is docked to a 24" Samsung LCD currently :)

9. mpscan

mpscan MPScan

10. johnmcd

Another option to consider is ordering a custom-made leather book cover that fits the S7 - I've done that for other slates in the past. Order the basic cover without any slots/tabs (just basically a rectangular cut of leather with finished edges), then glue some thin (1/8" or 1/16") plywood covered with felt to the inside front cover to protect the screen. I use a couple of velcro dots on the inside back to attach it to the slate.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.