Series 7 Slate AC Adapter & Tip

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Steve S, Oct 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...the tip is 5.5mm external, 3mm internal...>>

royale: You are correct; that tip is too big.

The S7S tip is 3mm OD, ~1mm ID.

2. abdo_85

abdo_85 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello Friends,

What is the suitable Portable Battery pack for Samsung Slate 7?

Thanks in advance

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...What is the suitable Portable Battery pack for Samsung Slate 7?..>>

abdo: At the moment, the most suitable external battery is probably the Energizer / XPal XP18000 with an AB23 DC adapter tip. The XPal battery claims to have a capacity of ~90Wh (Not sure I believe this; I think it might be closer to 60-65 Wh.).

Other alternatives also exist; the Tekkeon MP3450 R2 / MP3450i batteries with the PA-L30 DC adapter tip also works with the S7S (I use an MP3450i). The MP3450i has a capacity of 58Wh.

Finally, the Electrovaya PowerPad 130 (130 Wh) is back in stock, and it's a terrific battery, but Electrovaya does not have a compatible DC adapter tip at the moment. You can build a "cheater cable," but you need to have a little experience to do this...

Here are a couple of related articles that I wrote at RobBushway.com:

http://www.robbushway.com/2011/06/09/power-on-the-go/

http://www.robbushway.com/2011/06/30/external-battery-update/

And one of the best recent articles on external batteries from Tom's Hardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/notebook-battery-external-power-supply,2821.html

4. IndiUser

IndiUser Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it confirmed that the Samsung adapter AA-PA3NS40 is completable?

what about it's amp and watt ratings? are they fine for S7S?

Thank you

5. anteatereater

anteatereater Scribbler - Standard Member

6. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

7. bobp

bobp Scribbler - Standard Member

I've posted this problem in a separate thread about touch problems while charging.

I noticed that while my slate was charging that the touch interface wasn't working properly - the slate acted as if it was getting phantom touches so that when I did try to touch it wouldn't register my finger correctly.

During testing, I confirmed this only happened while the slate was plugged into the AC adapter - both when in the dock and while outside the dock.

Then I ran the same tests with the stock S7S adapter - and I don't appear to have any touch problems.

The culprit appears to be the 3rd party charger I ordered from the above link.

I don't have the equipment here to do a complete test on the adapter to verify it is actually delivering the required 19V or that the DC being generated is "clean". I suspect it is outputting 19V - but that there is noise on the output which could be interfering with the touch.

Looks like I'm back to square one on my search for a 2nd adapter...

8. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yea, it seems to be a reoccurring problem where faulty power supplies have a strong AC signal with the appropriate DC voltage (if you were to test the power adapter with a multi-meter then you would likely see 50-80VAC when the meter is set to read AC)

I saw this issue personally on the M1400's OEM charger (which was apparently an issue with the early ones; and it caused the cursor to jump into one corner of the screen and click like mad, very inconvenient), then I got the RocketFish 40W adapter and all has been good.
    Don't know if they have an appropriate tip, or if there is a compatible one out there, but it is a great little power adapter with interchangeable tips (I got 4 tips with mine, the smaller one seems to be almost to the dimensions of needed) , and it says output is 12-19V @ 3A, maybe its worth a look?

9. Pekkle

Pekkle Pen Pal - Newbie

Just curious, why is it so hard for Samsung to sell OEM AC-Adapter to us? Why do we have to resort to the 3rd party AC-Adapters? I wish I can get a OEM AC-Adapter so I can have one at work and one to travel with me.

10. bobp

bobp Scribbler - Standard Member

I ordered the Samsung 40W slim adapter (AA-PA3NS40/US) from Provantage for $58.50 plus shipping, and should have it tomorrow or Friday.

It should be compatible with the slate, since it is designed for the Series 9 laptops - and I confirmed at our local Microsoft Store that the S9 adapter fits and works with the S7S.

Will post a note confirming compatibility as soon as I've had a chance to do some testing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.