Series 7 - Screen Sitting Above Bezel Problem

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by alvarez13, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

YOu know what I might do as soon as I get mine? Make my own outer shell out of Perspex (plexiglass) like this guys right here

I have all the materials, and if I use a 2 mm piece of acrylic, then the added bulk will be negligible If we use a piece of wood 13mm wide then we will get a snug tight fit, and the screen wont be able to separate at all. Im making my own hand-e-holder to go with it anyway, I think it will be good. My father has a rubber dipping factory, I can even coat the Plexiglas with a thin layer of rubber for added grip. Of courseI would make sure all the vents are clear to cool it. This would also allow you to have an extra bit of rubberized level on top, so that fingers will be less likely to touch he outer edge of the screen like some guy had a problem with.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Omniscaper

Omniscaper Pen Pal - Newbie

Hooray my replacement tablet has arrived ahead of schedule. I hope that first tablet and its bezel/some dead and stuck pixels was just a fluke...

<5 minutes ago>

...<breaks out the packaging tape, carefully placing all items back in their plastic and packaging. Tears off the shipping stickers. Blankly stares at the two... TWO re-boxed up slates (one that is already being exchanged for this unit), ready for a trip to the UPS Store, and a $2700.00 dollar void in my debit and credit cards>

<flashback 45 minutes ago>

Box is opened in anticipation...the bezel, already noticeable while still inside its plastic condom, protruding in a warped fashion all along the bottom left, with the warp evening out an inch before the right bottom corner where it becomes flush (even higher than my first slate). I noticed bulbbles and what appears to be manufacturing nicks along the plastick bezel frame where the glass meets. I didn't bother to push it back down and powered up.

Eye soring, unacceptable backlight bleed in the area of the warp and along the upper right corner that stretches close to the center of the screen. It doesnt even look like normal backlight bleed, it looks like there is presssure on the lcd unevenly applied along the lower right quadrant. I tap in the general area with a pen, the bleed patterns warp. Hmmm.

The bright 1st time set up screen appears... Oh and whats this? LIGHT coming through where the glass protrudes from the bezel. The bright screen now revealing GLORIOUS dust/plastic particulates stuck in between the glass and the lcd, three 1.5-2mm and a couple of 1mm smack in the center 4 inch radius of the screen, screaming for attention when the screen is light. No detectable dead or stuck pixels, a shocker at this point.

I was ready to power down and start repacking, but for the heck of it continued on to calibrate the pen. This slate was apparently not done with me. 3 of the 8 registration points refused to accept the pen input. Big surprise, its the where the warp on the lower left side of the tablet. I tap some 3-4mm away from the crosshairs just to finish the calibration. The stylus now sporadically jumps to the top of the screen as i hover the pen across the task bar from one end to the other. Repeated the the calibration 4 more times with same results. Broken digitizer, broken deal.

Samsung... I am DONE with you. Am I being dramatic maybe, but its been a long month since I first made that Oct 4 preorder. Microsoft, I hope you have nice long chat with Samsung's QC department, before they potentially tarnish your Windows 8 launch next year.

Asus, hows that a ep121 refresh going? How about a Kal-el tablet with a Wacom partnership?

3. alanburchill

alanburchill Pen Pal - Newbie

This is an Australian device do they only hit the stores on Monday 7th November....

4. Antfield

Antfield Pen Pal - Newbie

My S7S had a raised screen as well. It started right off the box in the lower left corner (below power input). It's definitely visible, but not too bad. I can push it back in and it will stick for awhile. But after a few week of use, and being unable to resist pushing the thing back everything it bow, the problem seem to get a bit worse as the bad fit seem to start spreading to other edges.

So took it to MS store today and manage to get an exchange (see my post in http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/samsung/46013-microsoft-store-pricing-really-good-2.html ). This unit is much much better than the 1st one I got. The side edges are solid, but there's a very tiny flex on bottom edge to the left of the window button (toward power input).

Anyway, the reason I'm posting here though is that I notice that the bezel has been sort of "expanded" at both lower side edges. What i mean by that is there is very slight section of the bezel that is just a hair bigger than the rest. so the bezel is no longer a perfect straight edge, but with very minor protrusion toward the screen. It is very slight, so it's almost impossible to photograph without really good camera. It may be an accident, but I would like to think it's some minor modification they may have done to fix the problem. I say that because, the pinched area is identical on both side.

Anyway, very happy with a much more solid 2nd unit now. And I also got an Assure program, so even if the screen were to pop off one day (in the next 2 yr), I'm good. :)

5. Mac Wilson

Mac Wilson Scribbler - Standard Member

How were they about the exchange. Did they see the problem and just replace it without much comment?

6. bkydcmpr

bkydcmpr Scribbler - Standard Member

Anyone know if the BUILD tablet has the same issue?

7. Antfield

Antfield Pen Pal - Newbie

The staff didn't give me any trouble at all. I explain the problem. He run his hand through the tablet and first thing he said was how it's past 14 day exchange period policy, but he'll try to find other way to replace it. I think they are aware of the problem to some extent.

Regardless, I think the MS store is really eager to please its customer more so than making money.

8. Corteen

Corteen Pen Pal - Newbie

So my Slate finally arrived today, from Amazon.
    The edge of the screen by the power connector is already lifting, I havent even used it yet. It is a shame as I ordered the 64SSD with Win 7 Home and they sent me the Win 7 Professional version.

9. jamesT

jamesT Pen Pal - Newbie

For what it's worth, the wacom digitizer experiences electrical interference when the tablet is plugged in. This causes the cursor to get pulled downward within a half inch of the screen's bottom, where the charge current is running. That will make it hard to hit the lower targets during calibration, and won't result in accuracy.

I highly recommend everyone calibrate their pen while the unit is unplugged.

This is just the nature of the beast. All wacom digitizers can experience this sort of interference. Some people can't use their drawing tablets in offices with too much electrical equipment. It can cause jitter and all kinds of issues.

Unplugged, this digitizer is as accurate, if not better, than Wacom's own Cintiq 12wx, which suffers from edge jitter no matter what other electronics around. Although there is a slight loss of accuracy near the edge, the Slate experiences no jitter and less cursor drift.

Either way Omniscaper, dust under the screen out of the box is total bull****. Sorry to hear.

10. alvarez13

alvarez13 Scribbler - Standard Member

And to top things off, I now have a dead pixel on the screen.

1) Bezel issue (getting worse by the way)
    2) Dead spot in the lower left corner that pen will not touch (even when calibrating)
    3) Waiting since Nov 2 to return to swap it out
    4) Dead/stuck pixel

I think I may be done with this piece of crap. Was looking at buying a samsung tv, but having something else with the word "Samsung" on it is not sitting well with me right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.