Series 7 - Screen Sitting Above Bezel Problem

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by alvarez13, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slippery Wing

Slippery Wing Pen Pal - Newbie

That's great to hear, Coyote. I'm feeling a little bit better about this situation now.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'm using it in the exact same capacity. You just lucked out.

My problem seems to gradually be getting worse. It was just the bottom left corner, then the entire bottom, and now there is noticeable flex on the sides now.

3. loque

loque Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm glad to hear that they are offering exchanges. Mine is starting to go loose at the top around the camera. It's still less than 1mm lift, but it is worrisome. Shades of my Slate 500s all over again.

4. T120ted

T120ted Pen Pal - Newbie

I thought I wouldn't have this problem as mine was very nice and even when i got it. Now with 3 days of use on it, it is lifting from the windows button all the way around to the top third of the left side. I don't think the retailer is going to do an exchange either. It's not as bad as some of the pics I've seen but it is lifting.

5. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

Hopefully Samsnug will issue a statement Maybe we should start comparing serial numbers.

6. jamesT

jamesT Pen Pal - Newbie

Damn that's lame. Sounds like I did get lucky even though mine isn't perfect, but it does concern me that your's is getting worse even when used for art. If they are in fact fixing the production issue, I may pursue a replacement just to make sure it lasts. I seriously love this thing, it can't fall apart!!!

7. Mac Wilson

Mac Wilson Scribbler - Standard Member

How's this for a thought:

The cause of the problem is the plastic strip that the screen lays on. It flexes and breaks the seal. NO possible fix except for Samsung to replace this part with a metal counterpart. Problem solved.

They will have to do this. My only wish would be for them to also do the bottom with metal, but this probably doesn't have anything to do with the bezel issue, so they won't. (money).

Just a thought. Trying to narrow this down for what to expect. The problem with this is that it admits a mistake, and will cost them. However, not all that many of these are out there and it may be that they will consider that this horrible issue was caught in time to do a recall (mandatory or optional).

This would mean that Samsung do a recall for the plastic units, for repair. (or they could be sneaky and just make it optional.

8. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...The cause of the problem is the plastic strip...It flexes and breaks the seal. NO possible fix...>>

...Nice try. However, there are bonding systems that work just fine in this scenario.

As an example, weatherstripping on car door frames...

9. Mac Wilson

Mac Wilson Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, there's something wrong that's for sure. The two things that people are saying is that it flexes and the seal breaks. Perhaps the two are related?
    If flexing is causing the seal to break than a metal part would prevent the flexing,and therefore prevent the seal to break. Of course, it could be something else, like heat.

I don't know. I don't even know if that part IS plastic. Maybe it's metal.
    I'm just worried about losing $$$, as this issue is pretty bad.

10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Perhaps the two are related?..I'm just worried about losing $$$, as this issue is pretty bad...>>

Mac: I'm not saying that this problem is trivial or that you shouldn't expect better from Samsung. All I'm saying is that adhesive technology has made enormous strides over the years and that today, there are very few situations where the proper adhesive can't be made to do the job. Note that you have to be knowledgeable enough to select the right adhesive system for the situation... which Samsung clearly didn't do.

However, when we can bond teflon to polyurethane (uses a fairly complex process), glass to plastic isn't so tough... if you use the right stuff... (and, of course, designing the frame to be stiffer doesn't hurt, either)...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.