Series 7 - Screen Sitting Above Bezel Problem

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by alvarez13, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobp

bobp Scribbler - Standard Member

Probably the best thing people can do right now - if you have the problem (even if it's only minor) - exchange the unit.

It's not clear if this is a design flaw or a defective part (such as a bad batch of adhesive/tape).

So far, my S7S appears to be fine - and except for the lack of accessories (still waiting for my dock, haven't found a 2nd AC adapter yet, looking forward to a case, ...), I'm very satisfied with my S7S.

But if I start to see any separation of the screen - I will be contacting the Microsoft Store and/or Samsung to get the problem resolved.

2. jagermu

jagermu Pen Pal - Newbie

I've already done that once and am out the shipping cost which fortunately was pretty cheap, but my second order was from Tiger Direct and their policy dictates I go back to Samsung directly for returns/exchanges.

I think I will eventually exchange it, but I was waiting to see if there was some official recognition of the problem and a prescribed method to fix it before sending it in.

Right now, the second machine is certainly usable and I don't want to go through the hassle of exchanging or returning it if I am just going to get another one with the same problem.

3. Mac Wilson

Mac Wilson Scribbler - Standard Member

How much you want to bet Samsung goes into a corp denial mode:

"Nothing wrong with machine. Screen is good, everything work just right. Our engineers could find nothing wrong. Five point quality control. State of the art. Thank you for shopping Samsung. Have a nice day :) "

4. Slippery Wing

Slippery Wing Pen Pal - Newbie

Steve, I agree with you in full. However, when I read on a forum that a majority (arguably, but look how long this thread is!) have the exact same problem (and being an engineer who works with electronics, it's a big one IMO), and I get the "you have nothing to worry about, there's no problem here!" response from the company, when I have data that shows otherwise, it chaps my hide a little bit.

Especially when you go to their FAQ on their own website, and someone has posted the question that hasn't even been responded to yet.

If as a potential buyer, I read on the Samsung website that there is a systemic problem with glass disbonding from the chassis, a forum to back that concern up, and then be told that there's no problem they're aware of is, in my opinion very disingenuous.

I would have been more content with "...we've heard there are a few problems and we're looking into it, but rest assured we'd return/replace your unit if you have problems covered under warranty" would have set a whole lot better with me.

I'll continue to watch to see how this plays out. As I said, I'd really like this to work for me, as it seems to suit my needs very well. But I'm not willing to overlook quality on a $1300 purchase.

-Slip

5. Slippery Wing

Slippery Wing Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's the follow-up reply I received from Samsung late last night.

I am more satisfied with this reply, even though there is no definitive path to follow up with this issue directly.

At least they are conveying to me that there is a problem and are forwarding the message to the appropriate department, vs. just trying to pull the wool over my eyes and tell me everything is ok.

-Slip

6. Tonitti

Tonitti Scribbler - Standard Member

7. thecakeisalie

thecakeisalie Pen Pal - Newbie

LOL I think you're right! It looks like the Windows button is quite recessed.

FWIW, my new S7S from the Microsoft store is perfect, though I haven't used it with the dock for very long.. a bit afraid to. But the glass is holding steady around the entire perimeter of the bezel.

8. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

Haha, youre right! If you pause at 0.36, the screen is sitting flush at the corners but it looks like its raised about 2 or 3 mm where the windows button is! They can NOT have missed that. I wonders if the whole thing is some sort of special feature that we are too dense to appreciate. Springboard for mice?

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...My new S7S from the Microsoft store is perfect...>>

...After missing their last projected delivery date (11Nov11), the Microsoft store has put the S7S back up again in pre-order with a new projected delivery date of 18Nov11. That's not long to resolve issues like this, but it's possible...

10. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

Steve, does that make it even 2 weeks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.