Series 7 - Screen Sitting Above Bezel Problem

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by alvarez13, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecakeisalie

thecakeisalie Pen Pal - Newbie

Just picked one up at a Microsoft store, free dock, with Microsoft Assure for less than the price of the one I sent back, even after tax (yay 25% off). The bottom looks to be just a touch above the bezel but has very little give and the tablet feels solid to flexing. With my luck I expect it to start falling apart as soon as I use the dock, but I hope not.

Most of the display units looked completely solid, but as soon as I found one where the glass around the Windows button was unglued I decided to stop obsessing and left the store. Haha.

2. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

What store did you go to? Anyone know the stock situation in San Diego for example?

3. thecakeisalie

thecakeisalie Pen Pal - Newbie

Santa Clara for me. Grand opening was today. No clue about stock - I assume a Microsoft store would have a decent amount, judging by the number of display units all around.

4. Slippery Wing

Slippery Wing Pen Pal - Newbie

Greetings all,

I've been lurking on this forum for a few days now, researching tablets for a near-future purchase.

I was very interested in the Series 7, but after reading the reports of the glass separating from the bezel, I got concerned. I wrote the following inquiry to Samsung, and received the response below it. I figured I'd register for the forum and provide this group with this feedback.

I have since followed up that I believe their response is disingenuous at best, and dishonest at worst.

I also pointed them to this forum for further evidence that they have hardware and quality issues.

I'll keep you posted on what I hear.

I'm quite interested in this product, but I'm not willing to part with this kind of money for a known issue as serious as this one.

Slippery Wing

5. im140.2

im140.2 Pen Pal - Newbie

It does take a bit of time for issues to be investigated, resolved, and then information passed along to all the support centers and support personal. We would all like to think that issues such as this are something that should have a support statement on a support site within a few hours of a bunch of guys reporting the problem on a forum. (not to mention the users with the problem are 6000 miles aware from the people who designed the product.) All i saying is that technical issues and the support related to those issues is a very complicated process. Samsung has some of the best support personel on the business and more importantly they have a passion for their products and they absolutly want everything to be perfect and for customers to be very happy with their products. Give them a little bit of time to figure this out, find a solution, and then educate their support staff on resolution for those users with system already.

6. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I'm not willing to part with this kind of money for a known issue as serious as this one...>>

Slippery: Thanks for your feedback. Your concerns about the S7S are certainly justified, for the reasons that you mention. However, I think there's been ample dialogue (I'm thinking of members like im140.2) to indicate that the parts of Samsung that really matter ... the S7S product and engineering team(s)... are certainly aware of the problems. Further, I haven't seen anything to suggest that the known issues can't be relatively easily fixed. So I, for one, am relatively optimistic that things will level out in the foreseeable future.

I also think that under the current circumstances, purchasing through the Microsoft Store makes a lot of sense because I think that Microsoft reloads the S7S with their Signature software and when they do that they have a chance to double-check the slate's condition, both mechanically and electrically. Now that the problems with the screen and back are recognized, I suspect that buyers will be less likely to get a bad unit from Microsoft (but if they do, everyone seems to agree that Microsoft's return policy is pretty quick and easy)...

7. jagermu

jagermu Pen Pal - Newbie

I still think it wouldn't hurt to let Samsung know we are having a problem.

In addition, although MS is good about accepting returns, you won't get your shipping costs refunded. Given the circumstances, I think it should be a full and complete refund.

Think of it this way. If MS started refusing to sell it because they were eating the shipping costs in huge numbers, you can bet Samsun would get on the resolution ASAP.

8. Mac Wilson

Mac Wilson Scribbler - Standard Member

That's really the only way I would accept this at this point. I bought mine at a MS store as they will deal with Samsung (something I wouldn't want to do myself).

Otherwise, this model seems to have design issues that could be very costly down the road either in time of money (not to mention aggravation ).

But it's to early to tell how this will play out, regardless of our purchase options.

9. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I still think it wouldn't hurt to let Samsung know we are having a problem....>>

jager: I certainly agree; the more feedback that Samsung gets, the better. My only point, above, was that the parts of Samsung that are in the best position to work fixes and improvements are aware of the problems. Hopefully, Samsung corporate will assign a high priority to getting fixes implemented so that the S7S product team is not hampered by fiscal or administrative roadblocks...

10. timpaatkins

timpaatkins Scribbler - Standard Member

It boogles the mind to think that so much time, effort and money has gone in to a niche product like this, and it suffers from such an annoying fault. I mean, how could they have missed it in QC? Id love to know how many out of the ones already sold have this problem In my mind though, the onyl peole who have bought tem are active on this board, hehe. Its almost like the whole "cant hold the iphone to make a call" debacle. (Incidentally,I cant hold my Samsung Galaxy the same way either, my bars drop too)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.