Sequel to M7

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by kensei, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kohck

kohck Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I own a Toshiba M200. Screen is too small for my usage. I own it for about 3 years and i think it is now time to get a new one.

I am waiting for a sequel to M7. M7 is a fine machine, with its 14.1 inch screen, integrated optical drive. I am preferring this to Asus R1e.

The problem with Toshiba is that they
    1) tend to be priced more expensive than their counterparts for the same configuration.
    2) Not innovative in their design or configuration
    3) Boring configuration

I was hoping to compare the sequel to M7 to others laptops that i am thinking. I email Toshiba customer service a few times but no response from them. Does anyone know if and when he sequel to M7 will be out?

Any information such as configuration will be useful. I prefer a laptop with active digitizer and touchscreen (such a N-trig), with at least a 13.3 inch screen?

Kindly provide information......

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi kohck,

At the moment there is no word of Toshiba's future 14.1" line of Tecra or Satellite Tablet PC models.

The few Tablet PCs having active and passive digitizers are:

- Lenovo ThinkPad X60t/X61t ~ 12.1" XGA with MV/MT, Convertible
    - TabletKiosk Sahara i440D ~ 12.1" XGA, Slate
    - Gateway C-120X ~ 12.1" WXGA, Convertible

Motion Computing LE1700WT (12.1" SXGA+, Slate) would have been on the list, but they have decided to drop it as there were problems with the N-Trig active/passive digitizer they were using during engineering testing. It would have been released during this summer.

The upcoming Dell Latitude XT Tablet PC (12.1" WXGA, Convertible), due by the end of this year, may have an N-Trig active/passive digitizer, some specifications have been recently leaked - but we'll have to sit back and wait for a few more days (maybe) until Dell finally releases it to the masses. :)

As such, it appears that most Tablet PCs with dual digitizers (active/passive combined) fall below your requirement of a Tablet PC possessing such a digitizer and at a 13.3" display.

3. QuantumXL

QuantumXL Pen Pal - Newbie

I have heard rumors of a New M7 coming out BUT at the same time the techs at Digital Life said there wasn't any thought of a a wide screen Tablets anymore.

4. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Toshiba took their first step to introducing the successor to the M400 with the new M700. Now we shall ponder and wait for what next step Toshiba makes, will they re-enter the 14.1" market with a re-introduction of their Satellite and Tecra Tablet PCs lines before the end of the year, or perhaps (most likely) sometime next year? We shall see. :)

5. kensei

kensei Scribbler - Standard Member

The Protege was the first of their tablets with Core Duo technology after all. I wouldn't be surprised to see if the Tecra had an update soon. I'd pay good money for something with a 256 MB dedicated graphics (option between integrated would be sweet too!) and the fastest processor from the Core 2 Duo range at the moment.

I'd go low on the specs. There are guys out there would would pay good money for genuine Toshiba parts. So I sell it to them. Myself, I get the aftermarket stuff, which is heaps cheaper, and make my Tecra a bargain buy . Like a fast HDD and more DDR2 RAM at the fastest speed.

Hell, 14.1" is perfect I reckon. I'm only 5"8, and I manage to easily carry that around with the expansion battery.

The only thing I want more with the Tecra is a better screen design like the M700, and a better latch. I like the speaker design on the R400, I'd go with that. Plus, Toshiba, you gotta admit, the Quick Application buttons were a waste of space. You could have added more. two buttons, and then underneath you had.....nothing. What a waste! Put some multimedia buttons on or something. There is no way that I would hit them while I type in Notebook mode, and they are covered in Tablet mode anyway. Do it!

SD Card slot and four USB ports are fine. Optical drive too Dual Layer Recordable DVD please. I like the housing of the pen (please keep the silo design, I hate the stupid clip in designs of the ones like Fujitsu). But I prefer the placement of it on the R400 and the M700.

Finger print reader is in a good place, can't complain. Weight is not an issue for me. Face it, no matter how heavy its going to become, it is never going to become heavy enough to cut off the circulation on your lap, or hinder you during tablet mode while standing. Organic fitness people! It's only just less than 5 kg!

Oh, and the volume button. Just so that I don't turn on a media file, and suddenly remembered putting it on at full blast, I'd rather not have the volume controlled by the OS. The huge delay in the response is annoying. I see no reason for having the old style volume buttons.

Headphone and Mic Jacks? Please don't make them cheaply. Mine are rusting. In Australia, a dry desert place. It's appauling. They still work, but I hate knowing the fact that it is rusted.

Chassis is good and tough. but could be tougher. See if you can work on that. That and try to get good "work/business" performance on the low power status on the best current battery. And what was up with the sometimes unresponsive touch pad? Work on that please. And do not dare to put on a touchstick, no, even if you have the touchpad as well.

Widescreen is good. I don't know why people like the 4:3 ratio. The Tecra M7 is the first widescreen I used, and it is great! I have so much more workspace. Plus, when I convert to tablet mode, it's like I am writing on an A4 sheet of paper. The right proportions. I've never written on a "square" sheet of paper.

Otherwise, I like the Tecra M7 I have now. The only thing that could be better is the speed of the HDD. I have the fastest RAM installed at 2 GB and a Intel Core 2 Duo at 2.00 MHz. Works a beaut. I have satisfactory battery life and performance while I work (by decreasing the performance) and great gaming ability (while I'm plugged into the mains).

In other words Toshiba, give me POWER.

Also you tend to charge premiums compared to other companies. That's ok if we are willing to pay for it, but you'd better earn it. I'd start with supplying us with the friggin original version of the Windows XP Tablet, plus an a program that we can create recovery disks from. That should be a suite, which enables us to start with a clean install AND select all the apps that we want by ticking what we want and excluding what we don't we don't want. This will help keep out tablets clean and in fine streamlined and clutter free.

6. RolandTumble

RolandTumble Pen Pal - Newbie

I agree with, or don't care about, all of the above except what I quoted. I hate touchpads. Eraserheads aren't much better, but enough so that when I bought my used M4 with a replacement keyboard that didn't have an eraserhead, I went out a bought one that did. The only thing worse than a touchpad is the old-old-style tiny trackball.

7. kensei

kensei Scribbler - Standard Member

Fair enough, but even so, so you really use your touch stick? If I am in laptop mode I always am on the desk, and in my backpack is a trusty little VX Revolution Mouse from Logitech. I rarely use the touchpad even though I favour it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.