Seperate forum for the new tabs?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by insomniac, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. insomniac

insomniac Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone else see the need for a forum split now that we have all these cheap ARM based tablets appearing?

I say this because there are two very distinct camps which although similar in name are entirely different when it comes to hardware and use (think slates for consumption vs tradition Tablet PCs for creation).

Having an area for ARM devices based on Android, iOS or another non windows OS separate from the traditional Tablet PC area would make it easier to troubleshoot / provide support and guidance for each area. It would also be useful for helping to clarify the difference between the two for those that are new to the tablet / tablet PC.

I want to point out that I'm not calling all the ARM based tablets cheap, far from it, but since ebay is now full of cheap ARM based tablets we are getting a lot more questions about the platform due to the success of the iPad. It seems that people are looking for a more affordable iPad alternative and these 'cheap' clones are providing the answer for many but also generating a lot of questions which leads them here.

Because of the huge difference between these devices and the traditional Tablet PC that is commonly discussed on these boards there is already some confusion amongst newcomers which at the moment can be dealt with on a post by post basis but as the tabs increase in popularity and we get more questions this seems impractical. I suggest a separate dedicated forum for the new breed of Tablets to reduce the confusion and improve support from the community.

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Such a change is in progress. However, I don't know when this gets done.

3. insomniac

insomniac Pen Pal - Newbie

Doh :rolleyes:

I didn't even see the 'site suggestions' section.

4. Lotari

Lotari Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe a separate forum just for Android devices? That's what most of the new tablets are running.

There could also be a sub-forum for apps, as those devices are so application oriented.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.