Selfmade Charge / USB adaptor for TF810C

Discussion in 'Asus' started by nightworking, Feb 21, 2013.

1. wubbzy

wubbzy Pen Pal - Newbie

Here's one more link to share: the Atom Z2760 datasheet. Page 12 has a diagram for an example system that specifically mentions providing HDMI and line out to a dock. However, I don't think checking continuity from the dock connector to the external jacks will work, as the diagram indicates a demux on the HDMI line and possibly an amplifier on the headphone jack vs. line out. So, not sure how to tell if Asus kindly included those items on the dock connector without opening the case and poking around. Probably not worth the risk.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. nightworking

nightworking Pen Pal - Newbie

- Audio can be difficult, because it is highly probable that there also is an activation pin which has to be pulled to GND (or +5V) in order to tell the tab to use the output on the 36-pin plug instead of the other one. There are numerous combinations here.
    - HDMI: I'd not assume that the micro-HDMI plug is just in parallel to the dock plug. Such high-speed things usually have well-computed wire lengths and drivers in special places. In some cases, even the material properties of the PCBs are taken into account by the developers.
    - I would start by probing all the pins while playing music. If I had to guess, I'd say the audio is on 24,25 or 1,2. On the other hand: see my first point.
    - Regarding HDMI, it is possible that these pins don't carry the HDMI signal at all. Maybe there is another conversion IC in the dock. If HDMI is contained in the plug, it is probable that these signals are put on adjacent pins or pins which are close to one another.

3. nessers

nessers Pen Pal - Newbie

I have to ask, and it seems strange to start a whole thread just for this.

What would happen if I hook the charger cable to the wall-to-USB adapter I have for my iPhone? What would happen if I plug my iPhone to the TF810C's adapter?

4. nightworking

nightworking Pen Pal - Newbie

In fact, you can use most any kind of USB charger to power the Vivo Tab. However, it won't be charged. I tested it with a lab power supply. Charging starts around 7 V. Below, it just runs from the exteral voltage supplied (so it doesn't drain the battery but wouldn't charge either).