Seeking information on N-Trig support for 3D modeling/sculpting applications: Sony VAIO Duo 13 or 11...

Discussion in 'VAIO / Sony' started by dcbCreative, Aug 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcbCreative

dcbCreative Here for cookies.

I'm in the market for a new tablet PC, one to use as a digital art studio. There are several on the market that have caught my eye but only the Sony VAIO Duo 13 has the screen real estate, configurability, and battery life I am seeking. And I've lost patience with the nearly mythical machines being teased by Samsung, and Wacom.

I understand the limitations of N-Trig in relation to 2D applications such as Adobe Photoshop and Corel Paint. Neither of which I use to draw.

I also understand what is supported by N-Trig in relation to 2D applications; most popularly mentioned Artrage, Manga Studio, and SketchBook Pro. Huzza, I'm a long time SketchBook Pro user.

What I can't seem to find evidence for is what 3D modeling and/or sculpting applications work with N-Trig. Quite possibly none.

The applications I am most curious about are Maxon Cinema 4D, Luxology Modo, and Pixologic ZBrush (Or Sculptris). Though Pixologic does state quite clearly that "Wacom or compatible graphics tablet" is required.

So if any digital artists out there in Tablet PC Review land have embraced the Sony VAIO Duo 13 or 11 as a creative platform I'd be most grateful for information about what applications you use, both 3D and 2D, as well as any criticisms you care to express about this particular machine.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  2. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I, also would like to know these same things... *bump*

3. khos

khos Pen Pal - Newbie

I do not agree with you when you say N-Trig has limitations, you can draw just as well with that compared to wacom on 2d art..maybe some programs do not have the same support, maybe you should look at what program to use with ntrig?

Maybe you could email Sony to ask them, is there any driver available that can help you?

4. stoneseeker

It is simply a fact, not opinion that Ntrig has certain limitations. Most modern creative software applications make use of wintab, a necessary code for interpreting pen pressure input in the software so the pen can read as more than just a mouse. NTrig does not have a working wintab driver. It does not have pressure sensitivity in Corel Painter, Adobe Photoshop, Zbrush, Sculptris, Paint tool SAI, etc etc. It would be easier to list the programs it IS compatible with (uses windows own API). Manga Studio 5, Sketchbook Pro, and Art Rage are the most popular art software that I am aware of that can use windows API, and therefore work with Ntrig.

It uses a different technology than Wacom as well, and does not allow the same smooth control over pressure curve... although in this regard, could be seen as user preference. It should be noted though, that the majority of artists who have tried both, prefer Wacom.

That is why he states there is limitations. Sony has nothing to do with the drivers needed. It is between the software vendors and Ntrig.

Your opinion that it can draw just as well as Wacom is among the first I've heard from an artistic perspective. What Wacom devices have you used, and what Ntrig devices have you used for comparison?

5. stoneseeker

Hey guys! My wife just recieved her new vaio Duo 13 today, so in a week or so I should be able to do an artist review on it.
    Any questions let me know and I'll try to find them out as quick as I can.

6. dcbCreative

dcbCreative Here for cookies.

I am filled with anticipation... ...Especially now that Sony has just announced the VAIO Flip 13"/14"/15". The following is a hands on review from ARS Technica.

Hands-on: Sony’s latest Vaios are convertible PCs done right

Looks like that 14" and 15" versions can be ordered with a dedicated Geforce 735M with 2gb of graphics memory.

For me, the limitations of the N-Trig are offset by the options provided of other hardware specifications. Of course, it would be nice if all my creative tools of choice worked; Sketchbook Pro being number one, Manga Studio being number two, any 3D sculpting/painting tool being number three. I don't do 3D sculpting/painting yet (just mouse modeling) but its something I want to get into.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. paul.p

paul.p Pen Pal - Newbie

As time goes on art software will have to support more than just wintab, Adobe software included. As an artist and software programmer I'm sure that these developments are in the works but it takes large teams of people and time to make sure that end-users get a stable product.

Sony is really setting the bar high as far as N-trig pen-enabled devices are concerned, which is both good for Ntrig and other technologies. As Cintiq was the previous benchmark for digital artwork with a stylus, it made sense that software companies would focus on optimizing for wacom and wintab. As we begin to see new touch/pen enabled tablets and devices the playing field is becoming much more diverse than just Wacom.

Heck, I even see iOS and Android rivaling Windows software in the coming years as Intel is starting to make better mobile chipsets (Bay Trail). Not to mention if Apple ever decides to release a tablet with a digitizer pen then you see a slew of new software being developed for the 'i' crowd.

So yes, currently N-trig is gimped by driver support. But I wholeheartedly believe that this will change in the coming year as the market, which seems to be starting to lean towards N-trig and other MS ink technologies will demand software support.

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Let's hope you're right. Sony does seem a whole lot more committed to their products than Dell ever was with the Latitude XT. They might just give N-Trig the kick in the arse they need to level the playing field with Wacom, hehe.

9. stoneseeker

I would argue that Sony is not setting the bar high in the digitizer arena yet. Check out my review on the Duo 13: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/son...ony-vaio-duo-13-pending-fixes.html#post338938

I would say the device as far as a laptop goes though, does show quality and attention to detail. Perhaps they will fix the issues with the Duo 13 so we can actually start praising their steps towards artists, but so far this device is proving they know how to release a broken product.

10. shinkamui

shinkamui Pen Pal - Newbie

Sony has released 32bit wintab drivers, but forget those. The surface Pro 3 Ntrig wintab x64 (and 32) drivers work on the Flip 15 and likely all the other siblings in the flip family. Download from ntrigs site and enjoy. I was able to get gimp to work with pressure sensitivity using the --use-wintab option finally. I believe Zbrush also uses wintab, so you should have luck there. Im just experimenting with this today, so Ill post more feedback if i run into any gotchas. View attachment 6577

Additional excitement. Krita Gemini works ootb now with pressure, though the curve needs to be customized. Thank you Microsoft for stepping up N-Trig's Game...

stoneseeker likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.