Seeking help from someone who knows about remote computing

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by SusanS, Feb 11, 2013.

1. SusanS

SusanS Pen Pal - Newbie

I am hoping to find more information from someone who knows something about using remote software such as Log Me In or GoToMyPC and the internet or (I just learned there is a Windows remote app) to access a host computer and run programs from that computer on a tablet or a convertible/hybrid. I have one license for some expensive software i have to use for my business and because of the expense plus the sensitivity of the data and the fact that I am in healthcare and have to be HIPAA compliant, I am trying to figure out what hardware I need to buy to accomplish this task. Currently the software is on my 13.3 Sony Vaio Windows 7 laptop, which is ok for now. That computer is developing a few issues and is 3 years old. Because my livelihood depends on what I do with this computer, and because I am currently carrying it back and forth every day, loaded with critical and sensitive client data, I need to figure out a different strategy. I have been advised to get a new desktop computer to stay at home with all the programs and databases on it and a Surface Pro or something like that to use at the office to not only remote into the desktop but also to use for handwritten notes, photo marking up, and regular MS Office tasks.

I am wanting also to convert PDF forms I have on my website to online web forms that people can fill out and email to me securely and then I can have them digitally sign in front of me (informed consent), hopefully on a tablet or hybrid that has pen input. I would then like to be able to save that whole form and attach/paste it into the main database, but not on the secondary device. The primary device being the home/desktop computer which has the clinical documentation and billing programs and the databases. And the secondary device being the one at the office I am using to retrieve the secure email and capture the signature on a pen-enabled screen. Or at least it is one of the secondary devices...IDK!!! The photo task I would need to do is taking a shot, marking it up, and also sending it to the database.

Can anyone help me figure out what I will need to consider to do all of this? Desktop, laptop, tablet, hybrid...how many MS Office installations I will need if I use One Note and Word on one computer and Excel and Publisher on another....My head is spinning.

2. jnjroach

jnjroach Surface MVP Super Moderator

I actually use a Surface RT to remote into a very powerful desktop using the built-in Windows Remote Desktop App. You would need a way of connecting to the desktop via the internet, this can be accomplished in configuring the router to forward Remote Requests to the desktop and having a static Internet Address for your Internet connection helps as well.

I chose the RT device because of battery life, build quality, size and weight. You wouldn't be able to use the Log Me In or GoToMyPC options with the RT device until they release Apps. You could get a Clover Trail Tablet that you could load the software on, such has the HP Envy 2 or ElitePad 900, the Dell Latitude 10, ThinkPad Tablet 2, Samsung Ativ 500 or Acer W510, all would have good battery life and allow you to install standard Windows software. The only other piece is to figure out if the two services offer HIPPA Compliance Solutions, I know the built-in app is HIPPA Compliant with the default security settings.

3. SusanS

SusanS Pen Pal - Newbie

Thank you! Those devices you mention are not as expensive as the Surface Pro--and they are actually available. If they will do the job ok for me plus the other photo and notetaking I want to do, then I would prefer the all-day battery life over the more powerful tablets. I do have some concerns about viewability on the smaller tablet screen I am using to remote FROM. However I currently do everything from a 13.3 inch Sony Vaio with 1366 x 768 resolution. And it works just fine.

I don't know how to determine "static Internet address" or how to configure a router to do what you say to do. Here's what I have: wireless router at home and a second wireless router at my office. Both are protected by password. What will I need to be sure to have in the devices to work with that and how would I know what to configure from where?

And what two services are you referring to about being HIPAA compliant? The databases that would be on the desktop computer are HIPAA compliant already. I have a HIPAA compliant website and email address/service. I can add a secure forms service to the website/email service for $5 a month....it is all through LuxSci. And I use a clearinghouse (Office Ally) that is HIPAA compliant to submit 5010 billing data directly from my database. (I can do this task from the desktop computer since it is only once a week and very quick to do). I don't know if that answers what you were wondering about or not.

So, without the LogMeIn or GoToMyPC capability, what do I do? Seems like if I have to use those, then I have to get a full Windows device, right? And what desktop or all in one would you recommend? I am pretty much building this all up from just one little laptop.

Thanks in advance for your brainpower and knowledge sharing.

4. SusanS

SusanS Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you know if Splashtop would be an option for me?

5. jnjroach

I was referring to Log Me In and GoToMyPC, you would need to verify that they offer HIPPA Compliant Services. The advantage of those services you wouldn't need to configure the router as you are using their web based connection. I'm not familiar with Splashtop as a service, I know it is big on the iOS (Apple) and Android Ecosystems.

From the router (depending on the brand) you would need to go to the configuration website and look for something to the affect: Port Forwarding or Port Trigger or Exception through the Firewall. It might behoove you to check with a Local IT Shop that deals with Small Business to set it up for you.

For the desktop, how much do you want to spend? Most desktops are commodities anymore, so look at Dell or HP Small Business get one with a Core i5 or i7 CPU, 8-16GB of RAM and at least a 1 TB Hard drive.

6. SusanS

SusanS Pen Pal - Newbie

LogMeIn, Splashtop and GoToMyPC were referred to me by the people who make my billing/documentation software and they use LogMeIn when they take over my computer to make fixes in my databases. I have done that with them from both my home and my office without having to do anything to the router. They tell me it is all HIPAA compliant--they have me sign a type of release of information that allows them to be on the computer, but it is not about compromising the data through the connection--it is about having my computer screen on theirs. In my case, I will be the one on the computer screen, so there's no HIPAA problem there.

I was looking at Splashtop for business--it is $100 per year per user for up to 25 "seats" (whatever seats refer to, IDK) and it is HIPAA compliant. It looks like it is streamlined for people like me who don't know much about all this stuff.

So, what am I left with for choices for tablets or notebooks/hybrids--does it depend on the remote access service I choose? (Splashtop, LogMeIn or GoToMyPC) ? It seems to me that if I can go to the internet on the tablet, I should be able to use any of these to remotely work on my bigger desktop, no?

And thanks for the desktop recommendations.

7. jnjroach

You are correct, and if LogMeIn is HIPPA Compliant and is a known quantity, its not a bad choice. GoToMyPC does have a HIPPA Compliant offering as well: https://www.gotomypc.com/downloads/pdf/m/GoToMyPC_Corporate_HIPAA_Compliance_Guide.pdf

Splashtop Business - $100/Seat means for each person using the service it costs $100 and your case that would be One Seat, just make sure there isn't a minimum number of seats required.

If you want one with a Pen (Stylus) I would go with a Business Class Machine: HP Elitebook 900, Dell Latitude 10, ThinkPad Tablet 2 (But some users are complaining about the Quality) and the Samsung Ativ 500T.

8. SusanS

SusanS Pen Pal - Newbie

I DO want the stylus/pen. And of those you mentioned, which one has the best rep so far?

Does Surface RT take pen input? But I need to be able to use the GoToMyPC or LogMeIn, so Surface RT won't work? Gosh I am still kind of confused.

And here's maybe a naive question, but one I have to ask: can I go onto the internet with all of these that you mention? (using the wireless routers/connections I have?) Do I need anything else, like an extra data plan or something?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  9. SusanS

SusanS Pen Pal - Newbie

I"m sorry to keep at this, but I am still not sure what my choices are. I want the Atom processor so I can run Windows 8, use GoToMyPC or LogMeIn, and also have good stylus/pen input for notetaking, take photos and mark them up, correct?

I am concerned about the Dell Latitude because the windows version it lists on Dell's website says "no media." I need media. Like photos and music.

Where does one purchase the HP ElitePad 900 with all the add-ons? Looks like even the pen is an add on. And can you tell me in a nutshell what people are upset about regarding the ThinkPad Tablet ?

Of the four, how would you rank them: HP Elitepad 900, Samsung Ativ 500t, Dell, TPT2?

How do I whittle this down?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  10. jnjroach

I would say the Samsung is the easiest to buy, available at the Microsoft Store, BestBuy and Staples. HP you'd order from their site same as the Dell. The ThinkPad is typically a good machine, but if you look in the forums under the Manufacturer Section there are threads for each of the contenders.

If price isn't an object:

1. HP
    2. Dell
    3. Samsung
    4. ThinkPad

I love my Surface RT but with your software requirements and needing a digitizer (Pen). With the Dell, the No Media means it doesn't come with a Restore DVD.

11. the_mister

the_mister Pen Pal - Newbie

I am using Dell Latitude 10. Since I am in 24x7 support, I need to access my office desktop all the time. I have chosen Splashtop over its competitors because, 1) it has lowest monthly subscription 2) It has app for iOS and Andriod besides windows application. Since my tablet runs on Win8 Pro, I have no difficulty in accessing my office desktop remotely. I even do light/urgent work on my iPhone through Splashtop app but it is little painful owing to the small screen.

12. the_mister

the_mister Pen Pal - Newbie

It does have a recovery partition though.. and you can create you own recovery media (DVD, USB Stick) with the inclusive tool.

13. SusanS

SusanS Pen Pal - Newbie

my "mama bear" or main computer is a windows 7. I got the Samsung Ativ 500t because it was easy to get at Staples and they have a 14 day return policy. I got the keyboard dock too. When I remote into "mama bear," it works ok except I can't use the keyboard to input. The keyboard is a bit buggy anyway--connecting and disconnecting a lot. Not sure if I should keep trying with this tablet or return the lot and get a Surface Pro. Or if that's even the problem. Sigh. (I am trying out GoToMyPC because of HIPAA compliance concerns)