Security breach on this site?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions and Site Help' started by SeaNut, Sep 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SeaNut

SeaNut Pen Pal - Newbie

I have received notification from the admins at NotebookReview Forum that a serious security breach has occurred on their system. Evidently the lapse has to do with the engine used to run both that site and this one. You can find out a limited amount of information about the breach on this thread:

NotebookReview Forum User Notification: Urgent Alert of Security Breach - Page 8

Can someone confirm as soon as possible whether TabletPCReview Forum has been compromised as well?

Thank you,
    CA

2. tijo

tijo Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I cannot give you confirmation that it wasn't, but I doubt that it was. On NBR we were informed pretty quickly of the breach (members knew around that same time as the mods), an announcement was posted a few minutes after the mods were informed, so I'd expect a similar notification if it were the case on TPCR.

Given the size of the NBR userbase, I'd say it's likely that it was the only target because of it and the hackers targeted other large vB forums. It still won't hurt to change your password here if you have the same username and password on TPCR than on NBR.

3. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy FORMER Editor, TabletPCReview Staff Member

The TabletPCReview forums were not hacked as the NotebookReview forums were. If we had been, we'd have told you about it already.

Still, you're advice is good. If you haven't changed your TPCR forum password in a while, you should. Not because there is any danger that your old one was hacked last week, but because switching up your passwords every now and these is always a good idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.