Securing the EP121

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by jespers1, Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jespers1

jespers1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have been looking to utilize the Asus EP121 in lecture halls/teaching rooms, etc., but I have been struggling to come up with a good solution to secure the EP121 to the lectern/podium. I have looked at the various possible solutions and none seem viable. The closest solution looks to be from RAM Mounts RAM Mounting Systems, Inc. but this their option is clunky and unattractive.

Why didn't Asus just put in a standard locking cable hole?

And yes, I understand no solution will guarantee the slate won't be stolen. The idea is just a deterrent.

If I can't secure the EP121, I have not choice but to go with a traditional tablet.... it would be a waste to return all of these EP121s.

2. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

Visit Bestbuy and see how they secure the EP121 is your best bet.

3. jespers1

As far as I can tell, Best Buy doesn't carry it. But, thanks for the suggestion.

4. edblor

edblor Pen Pal - Newbie

Not sure where you are, but here in the Toronto area, it's the only physical place to get a hands on it.

5. shigchiro

shigchiro Pen Pal - Newbie

Best Buy in the US doesn't have them yet. The only store that has them here as far as I know is Fry's. And they didnt have any demo units.

6. jespers1

I have a couple of the units already, so a hands on demo isn't necessary. I am struggling to come up with a solution to secure the unit and I don't think a small lock box inside the lectern would be practical.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Visit Bestbuy and see how they secure the EP121 is your best bet...>>

Not sure that will do any good; Best Buy (and most other retailers) uses a commercial anchor / anti-theft device with an adhesive pad, steel cable and electrical connection. I'm not sure if that sort of system would be available on a "onesy" basis to ordinary folk like us.

HOWEVER, that said, you can buy small steel plates with a loop for a lock hasp and a toughened adhesive pad. I get a lock and cable set with just such a device with each new company laptop. For example:

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=7437#page=page-1

8. JustDavid

JustDavid ASUS EP121 Slate user

9. jespers1

I did purse the adhesive security plate, but it's not an ideal solution, since the tablet won't lay flat with the security plate and cable.

Still looking for options....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.