Searching For A Travel Tablet Good for Drawing

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by RagtagArtist, Nov 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RagtagArtist

RagtagArtist Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    $200-$400
    2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    I don't mind refurbished.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    Sure
    4. Preferred Size
    • 8 to 10-inches
    • 10 to 13-inches

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA
    6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    I prefer windows/android. If it must be an iPad, could you recommend a good pressure sensitive pen that is compatible with it.
    7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    5-10+
    8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    I would mostly be using it for drawing apps and web-surfing. So Photoshop, Sketchbook, French Girls,Procreate
    9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    It just needs to run well.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Photoshop/Sketchbook
    11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    If there is a tablet that runs Steam I'll definitely take advantage of it.
    12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Nah.This primarily will be used for travel.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    Good res is a plus.
    2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Yes, but I could also get a 3rd party anti-glare screen.
    3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Yes and it must have pressure sensitivity.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    The largest within that price range would be great.
    2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    I prefer SD or microsd card slots.

Misc

I'm doing some traveling in the next few months and I would like to find a durable tablet for personal drawing and commission work so I don't have to lug my x220t around.Its need to be reliable with good pressure-sensitivity and cost-efficient. I don't need a laptop replacement or anything but a good tablet for drawing and looking up resources. Thanks for any suggestions you could give.

2. RagtagArtist

I was looking into the iwork11,cubei7, and the dell venue 10 pro(5055/5056) a while back so if anyone has personal experience with these, feel free to share.

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Samsung Galaxy Tab A with S Pen is only $250 on Amazon. Really great value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Katagiri

Katagiri Pen Pal - Newbie

I ordered a Cube i7 Book, I can tell if I liked it when it arrive. It will take a while due to slow customs.

5. RagtagArtist

Sure, Thanks. I'll post on here if I find something beforehand. What do you like about the i7 that made you decide to buy it?

6. Katagiri

Katagiri Pen Pal - Newbie

A guy from another forum who has one told what he is able to do with it, i7 looks very versatile and it was the newest non Atom tablet with all functions I wanted like pen, ideal screen size, micro SD slot, an upgradable SSD and I also saw some drawings a reviewer did and they were nice. The only problem is to find a micro SD it's able to read, looks like the 128GB class 10 Patriot works.

7. RagtagArtist

Has anyone used an ipad for the bulk of their drawings? I'm not really an apple fan but I'm hearing they work really well with a pressure sensitive pen? And for the decent price they're selling them for right now, I figure I should ask.

8. surfaceproartist

The pressure sensitive styluses that are available for iPads are terrible, in my opinion. On the other hand, the Pencil for iPad Pro is an excellent drawing instrument. iPad Pro plus Pencil is at least double your budget, though.

9. RagtagArtist

Why the galaxy,what features stand out to you?

10. surfaceproartist

Price is number one, but just as important is the S Pen, which is Wacom EMR and can be used with Sketchbook Pro for Android.

Here's Brad Colbow's review:

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.