SD cards do not fit flush with the card reader?!?! (tx2000)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by billycat, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jellycow

jellycow Pen Pal - Newbie

LAME! The SDHC card does not fit flush into the reader of tx2000 at all. I'd say good 20% protrudes out. If you want to keep a card in there all the time for backup / ReadyBoost (why?) / or whatever, it won't work well.

...Yeah...I know...I know this is my fault for not reading the docs or not checking it first, but the other notebooks I've used (SD/SDHC on Fujitsu/Lenovo and MSDuo on Sony) fit the card flush into the slot. Which let me just simply leave the card in there all the time. This let me have a backup process running in the background to copy some of the more important files over whenever it can. On my slow Fujitsu P1510 (512MB of RAM), I even used it to host ReadyBoost drive there. Oh well. I guess I can either pickup a Express Card media reader (cheap...$22 or so?) or just get the $100 Express Card Transcend 16GB SSD (not cheap about $100 or so).

On the other hand, at least the card reader seems to be fast. I have a Transcend 8GB Class 6 SDHC card and it works flawlessly with the notebook. I wrote a single 1.1 GB file and took pretty much 3 minutes exact, which comes out to be little over 6MB/s write. Reading that file back to my tx2000z took 2 minutes 2 seconds, which is 9MB/s read. So I guess the reader does take advantage of the SDHC's increased speed okay... even with Vista's crippled file copying abilities.

2. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

seen tests which show that vista with 1GB or more dont really benefit much from readyboost

3. jellycow

Oh I can verify that from my experice. My p1510d only had 512MB of RAM at first...so ReadyBoost definitely helped. Upgraded to 1GB finally (damn MicroDIMMs!) and ReadyBoost was useless.

I have 4GB in my tx2000...I have no intention of using the SD slot as ReadyBoost drive. I just like having a solid state drive of some type to back up the things that I write. I figured anybody else who wants to use the SD slot for that purpose can give up on that. I guess xD cards are shorter so they might fit flush...but who uses xD cards these days? Ugh.

4. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

my kingston sd is really a microSD with a micro->normal sd adaptor
    it would not help being that the microSD goes in on top
    so sawing it in ½ would not help :p

but maybe there are adaptors which have an normal sd interface but smaller?

5. jellycow

Ka ka ka ka....I was thinking the same thing. I was thinking, "eh~ maybe I can get one of those SD to microSD adapter, take it apart, shorten it by cutting off a bit from the middle, and re-attach it~ YEAH~!" hee hee. I wanted to try it...but knowing my skills with stuff like this...I'm sure it's gonna turn out ugly and messy anyway.... I figured I'm just better off getting an Express Card media reader that can take the SD card in flush. Fun stuff~

6. billycat

billycat Pen Pal - Newbie

What the... You are freakin' kidding me!

I saw this post so I went to see for myself. It's still the same in the tx2500. SD cards stick out. It's pretty much a given that a MS pro will also.

And I agree, an xD card may fit flush but who uses an xD card? xD cards are SLOW!

7. jellycow

Actually, I tried one of the xD cards that I have and even it doesn't fit flush. It sticks out about 10%.

I even tried Rudegar's advice and tried to shorten the SD->MicroSD adapter and that's no go. It's one piece inside that you can't really shorten without actually soldering the microSD into it. That's no fun...

8. billycat

The thing is, there is ample room since I "accidentally" jammed a MS pro duo into in and it slides in all the way. :p Unfortunately, it doesn't make contact... sigh. Maybe I can shorten a MS pro adapter for pro duo.

9. chihping

chihping Pen Pal - Newbie

Ya modifying the adapter doesn't seem to work too well, but this may help :)

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5091

The site is credible, just search on google, but shipping is a bit slow.

Thanks for the idea OP, can't wait to get my tx2500z to try it out with!

10. billycat

Ordered 2.

It looks like the USB stub will have to be cut off but this could work.

Why 2? I have a penchant for mangling at least one through experimentation.

I have no pets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.