Scroll in Tablet Mode?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by jdwilson, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Fido

Fido Scribbler - Standard Member

PDFs? They use click and drag for scrolling. It's perfect for tablet pc use. For web pages, use firefox's grab and drag extension. It is wonderful. I prefer it over the click wheel on the mouse even because I can do flick gestures with it. For other programs... Well I guess you're stuck with the scrollbar, which isn't that bad. I really wish someone would come out with a grab & drag program for all windows though...

2. tlewis

tlewis Scribbler - Standard Member

woutervegter & fido...
    I don't think you understand what we're getting at here. I'm very, verrrrry familiar with using the stylus for navigation.

The point we're making is, that on most tablets there is a hardware button...a mini joysick if you will...this gives you the ability to scroll and navigate without using the pen at all.

Having a hardware "enter" button is a great adjunct to inking. On my M200 I often ink with RitePen while hovering my left thumb by the "enter" button to end paragraphs and add line breaks.

The controller really shines when doing straight reading. Once you open a pdf or Zinio e-magazine or ebook, you can stow the pen and do everything with this little doohickey. Flip pages. Zoom. Scroll.

I do this a lot. Reading electronic books and periodicals in portrait mode is one of the coolest things tabletpcs let us do.

Yes it can be done with a pen...but why did the R1F - in many ways a superior machine - take the step backward from what has become a very useful standard?

I was excited about the R1F. Ebook and digital reading in general is important enough to me that - without this feature - I'm backing off.

t

3. RSM

RSM Pen Pal - Newbie

t
    You are precisely correct! and of course I agree with your phrase "what were they thinking"...Reading PDF's and Zinio is the main reason I bought a tablet. I had the Lenovo x41T, but it was slow and the screen was a little small (my eyes are getting old, just like the rest of me) and I hoped that the R1F would overcome both problems...It does...but now I find it is a pain to read in tablet mode. Asus forgot, or never understood, what a tablet is all about!..I'll keep looking for a better tablet
    --Reuben

4. jdwilson

jdwilson Scribbler - Standard Member

I agree. I covered this in the mini-review I wrote. And I gave up on the fingerprint reader for both performance and hardware reasons (cover falling off, now covered with tape). Maybe someone could figure out how to reprogram the ESC and CTRLALTDEL buttons as up-down buttons . . . that would be a very useful hack.