Scroll in Tablet Mode?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by jdwilson, Feb 24, 2007.

1. RSM

RSM Pen Pal - Newbie

A major defect in the R1F (in my opinion) is that there is no scroll (or page up/Page down) button that can be used in Tablet mode when reading a PDF or other document. I've tried to use the fingerprint reader but it is intermittent (not working at all unless I wet my finger). Is it possible to customize the "instant keys" (e.g. the ctrl-Alt-Del and the esc key) to have them perform the up/down function? Are there other solutions?
    Reuben

2. alphaswift

alphaswift Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ummm...use the pen to scroll?

3. Gofishus

Gofishus Pen Pal - Newbie

pen gestures my friend

4. RSM

RSM Pen Pal - Newbie

Dan Bricklin, who knows a thing or two about computers, when writing about his early experience with tablet pc's...<http://www.bricklin.com/log/tabletpc.htm>
    "An important part of a tablet is being able to read, and an important part of reading on a computer screen is scrolling. The Tablet PCs have buttons you can push. The Compaq has a rocker switch, too. The Toshiba has basically 3 buttons, by default set to Up-Arrow, Down-Arrow, and Enter. This means when you're reading, you barely even need the pen. Very nice. I think buttons are real important, just like on PDAs. Remember, it's a Tablet PC, not a Pen PC."
    Yes, I could use a pen (with or without gestures), but that is a kludge and misses the point. it is not about the pen, its about ease of use. Reading documents in portrait mode is a major feature and a major advantage of the tablet (and for me the main reason for buying a tablet pc...if I want to use a pen to write and then store and review it on my computer I could use paper and a scanner for a lot less money).
    So I ask again, can the "instant keys" be reconfigured?
    --Reuben

5. RSM

RSM Pen Pal - Newbie

6. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you tried altering the Fingerprint Sensor settings?

7. RSM

RSM Pen Pal - Newbie

No I haven't..I"ll give that a try (but just now I can't get past the "failed" dialog box to get to the settings...I will say that the fingerprint scanner on the R1F is no worse than the one on my previous Lenovo X41 tablet...which is why I didnt use it there either

8. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No consolation but it does work fine on my Fujitsu Siemens T4210's.

9. tlewis

tlewis Scribbler - Standard Member

I share RSM's qualms. Everything I've seen about the R1F has impressed me - until I realized they had left off an "enter/scroll" controller.

Huge oversight. Even a "what were they thinking??" style deal-breaker.

I read multipage pdf documents on my M200 all the time with the pen docked. I read magazines with Zinio Reader the same way.

And although I haven't played with an R1F's fingerprint reader- my experience with the one on my Motion slate doesn't encourage me.

In an otherwise nicely (even elegantly) designed machine, this is a giant step backward.
    T

10. woutervegter

woutervegter Pen Pal - Newbie

use the pen gestures from vista, it works fine for me