Screen rotation based on 3D drive guard accelerometer

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by wakeupneo, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

What do you think, would it be possible? I know it's done on macbook pros.

2. coaxmetal

coaxmetal Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a rough outline of how to do it in Linux. Windows though, not entirely sure.

You could likely use task scheduler to react on the signal from the accelerometer as an event. The problem is interfacing with the driver to facilitate a rotation, IE how to have task scheduler react to the event and rotate. Likely you would only need two tasks, one for a left rotation and one for a right. That is assuming the rotation software has a relative interface. If it has an absolute interface you will need 8 tasks, two for a left or right rotation in each position.

Is there some sort of binary you can pass a command to that would rotate the screen? Maybe there is a way to interact with the drivers directly using task scheduler?

Basically you need:
    1. Accelerometer with a windows driver (likely USB based)
    2. Way to detect that a rotation is necessary (event in task scheduler should be possible)

and

3. Way to trigger a rotation (not sure here)

Also the accelerometer needs to know left from right. An accelerometer that simply detects the magnitude of acceleration wouldn't give us enough information to know which way to rotate. Ideally you need magnitude and direction (vector). Practically you just need direction with a clear threshold.

3. rorytmeadows

rorytmeadows Scribbler - Standard Member

Is it just me or are accelerometers and gyroscopes grossly overrated?

There's one in my Touch Pro 2 and there's an app that you can add to make it automatic, but I uninstalled it 5 minutes after installing it. The practicality isn't logical. I don't want the accelerometer rotating based on how I hold it because I might be leaning it on my side, showing it to someone else at an angle, or not quite establishing a continuous angle (then it would constantly rotate back and forth).

Plus, because of the virtual and graphics memory to rotate such a high resolution display, wouldn't it lag anyway?

It's so much nicer to control the rotation with a shortcut key or icon.

I think people need to really forget about the novelty of it and focus on practicality.

4. Seketh

Seketh Moderator Moderator

I also don't like automatic accelerometer rotation.

What would be cool to have on the Tm2 was exactly the same thing as the rotation button on my Tecra M7.

The screen only rotates when you press the button, but the orientation is determined by the accelometer. This would prevent accidental rotations and it would make the rotation button on the Tm2 actually useful. :rolleyes:

5. jkenny23

jkenny23 Scribbler - Standard Member

6. E1000

E1000 Scribbler - Standard Member

Surely to make the accelerometer send a signal you must be stopped the HDD from working since the drive has to stop when the accelerometer is operating.

7. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

The accelerometer always work, just stops the HDD when it detects too big movement, like a drop.

I like the accelerometer in the Omnia II.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.