Screen protectors: Bulky? Do they wear out?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Abtakha, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Abtakha

Abtakha Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey folks --

I've read a lot of the stuff here and have seen many references to screen protectors. Some people make it sound like they "wear out" over time. Is this the case? Am I going to have to be continuously replacing these if I choose to use them?

And: How bulky are we talking? I assume they're very thin, but do they get in the way on the edges at all? (I really have no idea what these things are like.)

Thanks for any answers!

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Providing you look after both the tablet and the protector (keep it free from dirt) both will reward by looking after you.

I've had one on my P1510 since day one of release and it still looks as good as new.
    Some of my PDA's have had theirs for years.

3. Abtakha

Abtakha Pen Pal - Newbie

Alright, sounds good. :)

Does anyone have any recommendations for a screen protector that adds a little bit of texture, like paper? I'm probably going to get a T4210 (my first tablet PC), and a slightly textured surface just sounds nice to me.

Edit: You know what, I just realized there's a whole Accessories forum. I'll look over there. (note: we have moved this thread to "accessories" as well. - Barry)

4. davidJlin

davidJlin Pen Pal - Newbie

My screen protector (Nu-Shield) does get scratched up over time, so a replacement every few months is in order. It's not bulky at all, but it does reduce the screen's brightness. There's no paper texture, though.

5. solsavr

solsavr Pen Pal - Newbie

You may want to try Writeshields (WS) you can get them from PocketPCTechs. For the 4210, I had them custom made to a perfect fit.

Although I ordered the WS when I first got my 4210, I just installed it tonight (I installed the Fujitus screen protector that was included) because I got tired of the constant glare.

All I can say is WOW...What A Difference! These make my indoor/outdoor screen look SOOOO much better! Bright & Clear with no glare...I Mean WOW! This is really a noticeable difference. The WS are expensive, but I have had one on my PDA for almost 2 years...still looks new, so I imagine the same holds true for the 4210.

Anyway...just wanted to share:D

6. davidJlin

davidJlin Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the tip solsavr!

7. theNerdyDuo

theNerdyDuo Pen Pal - Newbie

Aside from the Write Shields, does anyone else have a suggestion for a good quality, fairly priced screen protector. Unfortunately, we work with some artists who just don't know how to respect anybody else's possessions....it's a good thing they're so talented. (But Ruby would still like to smack them upside the head)

8. miklwald

miklwald Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had a Motion M1300VA for a couple years. I sign prescriptions on it with a regular pen and paper and otherwise use it as a standard writing surface throughout the day. Never had a screen protector, nor problems with scratching the screen. It was in for repair for a while this summer, so I went to Hawaii with a TC1100, which I was not able to use outside on the balcony, whereas I had been able to with my Motion VA, and my wife, with her M1600VA could just fine. Everything I read says I should get one, and maybe I will for my next tablet. Would a screen protector improve anything other than protection?