Screen protector...

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by Barry J. Doyle, Sep 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovellpcl

lovellpcl Pen Pal - Newbie

In the previous thread, Barry mentioned using a "screen protector (overlay)" to prevent scratching of the screen. I've never really given that much thought until now...but it got me thingking:

Do any of you use a screen protector on your tablets?
    How likely are you to scratch the screen using the pen stylus?
    Are there any disadvantages to using one (or any advantages other than protection)?
    Are they recommended by manufacturers of the tablets?
    Any recommendations on a particular brand should I decide to get one?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know several users here have them, I don't care for screen protectors much, just personal preference. Bstrong seems to be the favorite.

3. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I agree. My tablet screen is just a little dirty but not scratched. What can you clean it with?

4. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I would recommend to clean only with a microfiber cloth and purified water. Do not use chemicals or detergents on the screen surface.

5. lovellpcl

lovellpcl Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the feedback! I think I'll go without it then.

6. MRL

MRL Forum Moderator

I went with the WriteShield. It fits perfectly on my C314. It does not affect brightness and seems to enhance contrast.
    The WriteShield has an adhesive backing (shield completely removable with no residue - I know I removed it several times). I had a little trouble getting all the bubbles out at first but it finally went on fine. Once it is on, by using a piece of scotch tape on a corner, you can lift the shield. Now that the WriterShield is in place, it is almost impossible to tell that something is there.
    My initial complaint was that the screen causes the pen to drag. I started experimenting with various nibs and purchased the Cross pen. For now I am using the Cross pen with the "spring-loaded" nib as well as the C314 pen with the "felt" nib. I also use a Toshiba 3500 pen with its original plastic nib.
    The Cross with spring-loaded nib is working out really well. Writing is smooth with no skips. The felt nib also works very well but has a slightly different feel. I have always been one to write "hard" so I would probably squash the felt nib over time. I will continue to use all 3 pens for now.
    Why a write shield? Why do we purchase insurance for things we are not forced to - like warranty contracts and such? We hope we never have to use them and we tend to sleep better knowing we have them.
    I put a clear front "bra" on my car to take the brunt of stone nicks. It has worked well. I can replace the bra - sure beats having the hood repainted.
    It is a tough world out there. Working on my C314 and jotting down notes on a paper writing tablet (I know, why not jot down the notes on the Acer tablet - I haven't yet developed the discipline to stop using paper notes) but anyway, I almost wrote on the Acer with my Sanford pen!
    Accidents will happen especially if you really use your tablet.
    The WriteShield, in my limited opinion, is as close to having a shield without it being obvious that you have a shield. It appears that the "drag" issue will not be a problem - you just have to find the right nib.
    As King Arthur once said: "A nib, a nib, my kingdom for a nib!"

7. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

what's a nib?

8. davidJlin

davidJlin Pen Pal - Newbie

• [size=-1]nib:

[size=-1]
    • the writing point of a pen
    • beak: horny projecting mouth of a bird
    • [size=-1]A small projection of masonry from the face of a wall.[/size]
    • [size=-1]A resource that stores a collection of Cocoa user interface objects, such as buttons, text fields, and pop-up menus, as well as information about the relationships between those objects and project code.[/size]
    • [size=-1]Nordic Investment Bank[/size]
    • [size=-1]Non-Intentional Bullion Coin[/size]
    • [size=-1]New In Box[/size] [/size][/size]

9. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

LOL - I think you forgot the "NIBS" licorice in your list!

10. Don Komarechka

Don Komarechka Pen Pal - Newbie

I use Monster ScreenClean on my tablet's screen and it seems to do a great job. Its also the stuff I use to clean all of my other monitors for my desktop machines at home. Its expensive though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.