Screen Protector Caution

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Steve S, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telecomgeek79

telecomgeek79 Pen Pal - Newbie

You might try the Clarivue. It doesn't affect "my" inking at all. YMMV

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

WriteSHIELD also provides a pretty slick writing experience, if that's what you are looking for...

3. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

How many of the precut screen protectors that people have gotten look like they were actually machine cut to the HP Slate's dimensions?

I'm looking for something that not only fits edge to edge but also has die cut corners that match the Slate's corner radius. If it has a hole punched out for the camera, that would be a plus lacking that wouldn't be a big minus.

I would like a protector, mainly to reduce glare and fingerprints, but I want one that looks like it was made for and belongs on an $800 computer.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I can't find an HP Slate 500 listing. Did you order a precut and, if so, which dimensions?

Bronsky:cool:

5. Steve S

<<...How many of the precut screen protectors...look like they were actually machine cut to the HP Slate's dimensions?..>>

...None of them. NuShield is probably closest, but the corners are clearly hand cut.

However, I think your emphasis is misplaced. Once the NuShield SP is installed, you can hardly see the edge. Same with WriteSHIELD. I simply hand trimmed the corners to a reasonable degree and once installed you have to look to notice those edges at all...

6. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

The thing is, I can cut plastic as well as some other guy. If there are no machine cut screen protectors out there, I might as well just buy a big sheet of plastic and cut it myself like telecomgeek79.

7. purezerg

purezerg Pen Pal - Newbie

just curious, noone mentions which one has the closest feel to a actual paper. as in roughest feel. i dont like writing on naked glass because its too smooth/slippery.

8. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

You will not find any screen protector that is nearly as rough as paper. They need to be smooth so not to distort the image. Some of the cheaper matte screen protectors have a roughened surface but you can't really feel it with the pen and they cause a lot distortion called sparkeling. It looks like there is a fine spray of water over the screen; instead of white, you see tiny red , green, and blue sparkles.

9. Steve S

<<...which one has the closest feel to a actual paper...>>

...And, again, the inking "feel" is the product of two things: the surface of the screen protector and the relative hardness of the nib tip. If N-trig would give us a selection of "softer" nibs, it would allow users to better adjust the inking feel to their preference.

For example, I find that a small amount of inking resistance is essential to me to write smoothly. The "slick" feel of the bare screen and the black nib cause my inking to be a bit "wobbly."

10. purezerg

purezerg Pen Pal - Newbie

ya, i know what you mean, I have been thru alot of SP for my HD2. the crappy ones that do that RGB thingy and the really good ones like as the non-glossy screens of the HP business class laptops. I remember back in the old days of palm and handspring there was one company that did one that has a textured surface for writing. i guess it now doesnt apply to RGB/colored displays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.