Screen Protector Caution

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by Steve S, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MatthewSullivanMath

MatthewSullivanMath Pen Pal - Newbie

I went with the Strong Engineering SP adhesive edges (non-static) anti-glare because it was custom-cut for my 13.3" XT3 screen.
    The anti-glare is not great. Writing on it is fine but the surface makes touch gestures less smooth. Are the writeShield, Nushield or any others good for writing and touch?

2. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

I've never had a problem with the one from EXIM from ebay that I've used since I purchased my slate in March 2011.

3. ships10

ships10 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Great Nushield SP ....no problems with touch or pen. Infact I am glad I used it since it has prevented any possible scratches
    on my screen. I am looking to replace it soon.....I see some lines on the right side because I use the pen to scroll mostly on the right side.
    Without the SP I am certain the screen would not be scratch-free and it is not cheap to replace the screen.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Are the writeShield, Nushield or any others good for writing and touch?..>>

...I am currently using 3M Vikuiti, WriteSHIELD AG, SGP Steinheil Crystal, NuShield Dayvue and Photodon MXA on various tablets. Based solely on personal preference, I would probably recommend MXA or Dayvue; the former is clear and the latter is anti-glare. I have noticed very minor touch sensitivity effects on one or more of these, but nothing that really bothers me, so I can't really say which one might be the absolute best for both pen and touch... probably MXA...

Last edited: May 20, 2012
  5. aaronb1138

aaronb1138 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm using the Great Shield right now. Got a 3 pack of the glossy ones first. That one was good, but I decided after what I read here and elsewhere to try the matte / anti-glare one for better tactile feel with the pen. Both work great with pen or touch. They both also seem to reduce the frequency of ghost clicks from the pen.

I also have the Fujitsu stylus which works better. Not sure why, it seems nearly identical to the HP stylus, but it really is better. Also the back of the Fujitsu stylus will work as a capacitive input with the matte screen protector. I have no clue what is going on there, but it does (eraser functionality run amok?)...

The matte finish will reduce the brightness just a little bit, but I found the effect much less than the amount of brightness lost with other, cheaper brand matte protectors I have tried on other devices. I got one for my Galaxy S which massively killed the brightness. The matte protector does make the display color look a little better, mostly because it filters a bit of the noise inherent in mid-grade TN displays like the Slate uses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.