Screen protector affects tablet sensitivity?

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by zaphod, Oct 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zaphod

zaphod Pen Pal - Newbie

I have put a Photodon screen protector on my T901. I'm very satisfied with the degree of protection, and the ease of cleaning.

However, I find that the touch sensitivity of the tablet has changed: it has lessened in some respects. For example, I now have a very difficult time moving the virtual keyboard around the screen. In other ways, the responsiveness has become slightly erratic. When, for example, I "right-click" on a hyperlink by keeping my finger depressed on the link, the link simply opens as if I have left-clicked. These behaviors did not happen until I applied the screen protector.

My screen protector is the "Crystal Clear" kind; Photodon also sells two different kinds of matte-surface protectors for the T901. I am thinking of buying a matte screen protector in the hope that, if my finger slides around less than it does now on a very slick surface, then the tablet performance will be better. However, all three protectors (two mattes and the crystal clear) are the same thickness.

Can anyone tell me whether I will get better performance from a matte screen protector?

Thanks.

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Can anyone tell me whether I will get better performance from a matte screen protector?..>>

zap: You bring up an interesting issue that I don't think I've seen before (at least not on these forums).

Screen protectors are generally a sheet of non-conducting plastic material, generically called a dielectric. Your capacitive-sensing screen works because it senses the minute electrical charge that all of us have on our skin. Although the screen protector in non-conductive, your capacitive screen will still work because the screen protector is thin enough that the charge on your fingertip creates a charge concentration on the inside surface of the SP that your screen can detect. However, because this is a slightly lossy process, some decrease in detectable charge level is inevitable.

The point here is that this process is primarily a function of the presence (or absence) of an SP, and not so much a function of the surface finish of the SP. Although a matte SP might allow you to hold your finger tip more steadily on the screen, my guess is that you would find the screen sensitivity to touch about the same...

3. zaphod

zaphod Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the answer, Steve. It sounds as if I have a choice between protecting my screen and having the best touch experience possible. And it sounds as if there is no workaround. But, after using screen protectors for years on other devices, I can't quite get used to the idea that I can't have both complete screen protection and complete responsiveness. Photodon seems to make the best-reviewed screen protector, and is about the only retailer I can find who makes a SP specifically for the T901. So I'm going to go ahead and get the matte SP just to see if the results are in fact even a bit better. I'll keep you updated on the results. And thanks again for the feedback.

4. Greg_E

Greg_E Scribbler - Standard Member

I find that many cap. screens do not work well with my skin. We have an old 3M with cap.touch and it doesn't respond well at all to my fingers. Adding a protector over the top and I bet it stops working for me completely. Resistive still have some advantages for things that do not require multi-touch.

5. zaphod

zaphod Pen Pal - Newbie

I just ordered a matte protector; should be here in two days. I'll let you know whether there is any difference from the Crystal Clear version. I didn't realize that the resistive screen would respond better to a SP. Maybe I should have gone that route. But otherwise, I really really like the T901. Except for this issue, t's the perfect appliance for me (at least for the next year, until something newer and cooler comes along).

6. Greg_E

It all depends on what you need. If you just want to press a button on the screen, then resistive can be far more reliable. If you want to try and draw then an inductive like Wacom is far superior, and if you want multi-touch you really only have cap.sense as a choice (some resistive claim two or four multi-touch but I've never tried them).

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...it sounds as if there is no workaround...>>

...At least theoretically, the thinner the SP, the lower the losses. So I would start by looking for the thinnest SP that I could find. (Bear in mind that my explanation above... #2... necessarily glosses over some details that might prove to be important, such as additives to the plastic substrate or metal-bearing anti-reflection coatings...)

8. zaphod

zaphod Pen Pal - Newbie

The only screen protector I've found (for example through Google) cut to size for the T901 is made by Photodon, which is the brand I'm using. So here are two questions: does anyone know of another brand of SP cut to the correct size (but thinner than Photodon's), or does anyone know whether it's possible to get a large swath of a different screen protector (again, thinner) and cut it down to size? I can't imagine that a utility knife and a fairly steady hand couldn't accomplish this....

9. Greg_E

NuShield should have something but you may need to measure the screen or the current protector and email them. They usually cut these a little on the small side to what is active area only. It is the same as the t900 but I see that NuShield says active digitizer only for that model, they may know something that we don't about the passive cap.sense version.

NuShield screen protectors provide long-lasting protection for your Fujitsu display

10. zaphod

zaphod Pen Pal - Newbie

I contacted NuShield, whose representative said that the thickness is the same, but that the chemical makeup is different. I think I'll try this if the Photodon matte screen I've ordered doesn't work out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.