Screen Protection and SSD Options for X220T

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by driekus, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeepy

jeepy Pen Pal - Newbie

So my MXT Photodon came today! I just installed it and it's great.

My dimensions fit perfectly over the screen itself and over the tiny black border where it says Lenovo in the bottom left corner. These are the dimensions I ordered for the multi-touch screen:

CCut: CustomCut
    HDimension: 11.3 inches
    VDimension: 6.56 inches
    SquareCornerOpt: Rounded Corners
    MakeModel: Lenovo X220 Tablet

Photodon automatically deducts 1 mm from those measurements so you can have room for future removal. I chose to let them do that and the measurements came out fine IMO. Here's a picture of the edges in case you wanted to keep that 1 mm or make it slightly larger.

The writing stylus feels great on it, and multi touch is unaffected as far as I can tell. I played the Microsoft Touch Pack Garden game with the water, whatever it's called, and the touch response seemed normal.

It does seem to collect fingerprints more easily than the comp screen itself, but that's fine to me since there's a little cloth included anyway. Better wipe-able fingerprints than scratches!

I can't really tell if the anti-glare is there or not, mostly because I stay indoors with the tablet and I've only had it a week+ and wasn't in any situations with glare. The reviewers from gottabemobile say the anti-glare is pretty effective though, as far as I can remember.

A solid $20 investment! Pretty happy with it so far :)

P.S. forgot to mention that the envelope Photodon shipped in had a handwritten note saying "Thank you!" with a purple smiley-face sticker. It made me smile....cute touch.

Attached Files:

2. Suhaybh

Suhaybh Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone had experience with using Sata III drives in the X220T? OCZ recently announced that they would be releasing Vertex 3 SSDs in 1.8 inch flavors (at 5mm height, thus bringing 550mb/s reads to the X220t!!!).

My main concern however is the life expectancy of these drives. At first I was thinking of using a renice 120gb msata for OS and programs and use a traditional hard drive for files, as is the recommended configuration for prolonged life. But I really want to take advantage of the Sata III interface thanks to the sandy bridge processor so I am thinking of a Vertex III 1.8 for the OS and Programs and an msata for documents and files. I am just concerned of the life expectancy of the msata drive in this case though so I may need to opt for a SLC intel msata but 20gb is way to small for my documents. So what do you guys think is best? =S

3. driekus

driekus Pen Pal - Newbie

I chose the intel drive primarily because of reliability. The added speed of a vertex is lost out to intel for this reason. I don't think the speed difference is something that ill really notice in day to day work.

4. hp79

hp79 Scribbler - Standard Member

Suhaybh, I don't understand. What 'life expectancy' are you talking about? Are you totally new to SSDs? These things will outlast the crap out of your tablet pc's life time. Especially the intel SSDs, unless you are doing something extraordinary with your tablet, if you ever get to replace the SSD, it'll be because the size is small or you just want a faster speed.

I remember using 15k rpm 36 GB SCSI drives for around 10 years as my main drive, because it simply beats the performance of 200 GB IDE drives. I'm pretty sure you can use your SSDs for 10 years with normal use.

5. Suhaybh

Suhaybh Pen Pal - Newbie

This will be my first SSD purchase. According to Lifehacker, SSD has a limited write capacity which affects their lifespan as supported by this article.

How to Maximize the Life of Your SSD

Coding Horror: The Hot/Crazy Solid State Drive Scale

According to the above article, someone purchased several SSDs and was unable to use an SSD for even one year before needing to get it replaced (one Vertex 1 lasted 512 days though). Granted he probably didn't take necessary precautions like TRIM support but still its a little concerning.

From what I have understood SLC SSDs have a much higher life expectancy than MLC drives but they are more expensive and generally slower and at lower capacities at affordable prices. Write capacity depends on how much something is written on the hard drive, but a lot of writing happens without the user knowing in Windows 7. A lot of this unknown writing is alleviated with activated TRIM support but there is still unknown writing thanks to other processes.

Of course this is just all my research. I could be missing some crucial points that suggest otherwise. So what do you guys suggest? A Raid 0 configuration with an msata 120gb renice and 120gb vertex 3? Renice 120gb msata for OS and programs and a traditional hard drive for documents and files? Intel 311 SLC msata for documents and files and Vertex 3 for OS and programs? Don't bother with an msata? SSDs are illuminati? Any suggestions would be helpful! =)

6. sieepiestangel

sieepiestangel Pen Pal - Newbie

Has anyone else put a screen protector on their x220T? I'm thinking of picking up the MXA Crystal Clear from photodon but worried that it will reduce the effectiveness of the multitouch? Can anyone comment on the MXA or the other screen protectors from photodon?

7. hp79

hp79 Scribbler - Standard Member

I see. You must have been looking at old stuff. These days ssd including intel's first gen x25-m will last 5 years with 20gb writes per day or something like that. Normal people don't do that much writes. Trim keeps your ssd clean so the performance doesn't drop after using your ssd for a while. First gen intel amd most other first gen ssd dont support trim, so only way to get back the speed is tosecure erae the whole ssd. Trim has nothing to do with life expectancy. It's just about performance.
    I suggest you get intel 3rd gen 320 80gb or msata 310 80gb along with your original hdd.

slc are supposed to be more faster and lasts even longer, but too expensive.

After reading the review links that you posted, I don't beleive this guy's posts about intel ssd dieing in just couple weeks. He must have had a shiity power supply or some other thing causing problems. There are some people that just chews through certain parts. Something must be wrong on his computer. I have had intel x25-m 80gb gen1, gen2 for years now, and have been doing reinstalls very often. I mean it would be much more than normal person would do, and they are still fine.

Another thing to add, provantage has intel 310 mSATA SSD 80GB in stock! It was a long wait, but they are finally in stock. I just ordered one for my wife's x220 laptop. I'm using intel x25-m 80gb in my x220t, so won't be upgrading for a while.

Search for Manufacturer Part# SSDMAEMC080G2C1 in provantage.com

8. legendaryflatulis

legendaryflatulis Pen Pal - Newbie

So how difficult is it to rip apart a laptop to install an mSATA SSD? Do you have any links to install guides handy? I build my own PC's at home but I've never done laptop surgery before and I'd hate to royally botch something in my tablet. My X220t came with an Intel Centrino Advanced N6205 - will I have to pull that out to make room for the mSATA SSD?

9. sonshine87

sonshine87 Pen Pal - Newbie

Here you go: Service Videos :cool:

10. legendaryflatulis

legendaryflatulis Pen Pal - Newbie

Hot damn, what a fantastic resource!