Screen off without sleep solution for tablet?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by crazycat, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi,I'm new here. Actually I had been lurking on this forum for a while, but no matter how much I look, no one have addressed this issue in window 10 technical review yet.

Window 8 tablet is great that it could use all of the x86 program, but they are not supported by Connected Standby. And in most Baytrail tablet, if you turn off the display, the tablet immediately go to sleep mode. There is no option to turn off the display alone. That mean if you want to encode video, download big file, or do some other time-consuming task that require x86 program, you have to leave the power-hogging screen on, which will surely kill the battery.

So I was wondering if anyone who tried the Window 10 on their Bay trail tablet could answer a few questions:

-Does Connected Standby work with x86 application?(I doubt it considering MS want to push user to use metro, but it's my wishful thinking)

-If it doesn't work, is it possible to set the tablet to turn off display without putting it to sleep in the Power Plan?

I would try it myself, but in my country there is no support or repair services (I had to order oversea) for Window 8 tablet, so installing Window 10 review on it is a no-go. If anyone had tried Win 10 on their Baytrail device and could answer those questions, I would be grateful. Thanks!

2. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually, I absolutely assume that Win10 will continue to support Connected Standby and x86 applications.

But, like you, I would like to see the ability to turn the screen off without entering Sleep. I have never understood why that does not exist with Win8, for tablet use and battery charge preservation--very much needed.

3. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

What he's saying is that Connected Standby doesn't work with legacy desktop apps. I don't expect that to ever change, as it's a free-for-all with desktop apps. Microsoft doesn't have as tight control over them as they do with WinRT stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.