Screen, is it supposed to be...?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by cspiker23, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cspiker23

cspiker23 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello everyone I just picked up a refurbished slate and had one concern, the screen looks as if there is an antiglare screen protector on it but there isn't, the screen just isn't crisp, is this how all the slates are? It's not terrible just bugs me a little that they couldn't have made the picture much cleaner. The whole screen just looks almost sandy or crystalized, I don't really know how to explain it, I hoping you know what I mean and maybe even how to clean it up a little. Thanks for any info.

2. Boyd

Boyd Pen Pal - Newbie

Maybe there really is a screen protector on it? My screen is glossy (can see my reflection in it) and just as sharp as any other screen of similar size and resolution that I've seen.

3. cspiker23

Nah there is deffinately no screen protector, the screen itself is super glossy and the picture is good, its like the bottom layer of screen underneath all the picture basically in the background has the distortion.

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

cs: My first impression, based on your description, is that you're looking at a typical Slate screen. Many of us commented early on about our disappointment that the Slate's screen has very narrow viewing angles with significant color distortion.

However, it seems like you are mostly concerned about what I would call "graininess." All LCDs display their best quality image when they are operated at their native resolution which, for the Slate, is 1024 x 600. However, you can set the Slate to 1024 x 768. When you do this, you get more image "real estate," but image quality also suffers. Is it possible that this is what you've done...?

If so, set the display back to 1024 x 600 and take another look. However, either way, it's a fact that the Slate's LCD display leaves something to be desired...

5. cspiker23

Graininess seems to be a good description for it. It is being operated at 1024 x 600. I have used many lcd displays and have a desktop touch screen all in one and even compared to cell phones, the screen on the slate is very "grainy". I was thinking it is a typical slate screen. I just had higher expectations I guess. I just got off the phone with HP trying my best to explain it to the guy on the other end, wherever in the world he may be, and he just said it is supposed to be very clear and he would send me a box to send it in to get looked at. If it is a typical thing I deffinately dont want to end up getting charged a diagnostic fee for them to tell me the same thing. Thanks for your help. I may just end up trying to cancel the box.

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I would have them look. You're still under warranty right (90 days for refurbs?)? Although the display is not the best one I have ever seen, it is not that bad if you are looking at it within its narrow viewing angles. You may have a particularly bad one. I would send it back. Did the rep tell you that you would incur a service fee if it was not defective? If so, I would ask to talk to a supervisor or call a sales rep in Texas and ask them.

7. tabfan

tabfan Pen Pal - Newbie

8. sharpear

sharpear Pen Pal - Newbie

9. tabfan

tabfan Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry I posted it to this thread accidentally, will post to the link you gave.

10. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

The slate does have an unimpressive screen and I am familiar with the dirty or glittery look you describe. I was very much disappointed by it, as "upgraded" from the TC1100 to the slate.

I hoped that HP would at least put a better screen into the Slate 2 but they didn't... maybe the 3?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.