Screen doing strange things.

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by revmike, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revmike

revmike Scribbler - Standard Member

After I recalibrated mine for both pen and touch it has yet to reoccur.

2. revmike

My screen problem returned with a vengeance yesterday. Without touching anything programs would startup on their own. I scanned for any kind of virus, using windows defender and everything was clear, so I then decided to reinstall the n-trig drivers and that took care of the problem. The issue didn't effect the use of the pen, but touch was lagging and slow, but after the reinstall touch has improved immensely.

3. TheWerewolf

TheWerewolf Care for a bite?

As much as I like my Slate, N-Trig was a bad chioce regardless of the rationales for two simple reasons.

1. It's flakey and buggy as heck - I'm now seeing the ghost tap problem so often that I leave it in pen-only mode most of the time. Unfortunately, login always turns on touch, so logging in is always a wrestling match.

2. The pen is barely compatible with a lot of major software. Yes, that's as much the software maker's fault as n-Trig's, but the reality is that the software makers don't care. N-Trig is seen as a low-end digitiser, so it's not in their market.

N-Trig has shown little interest in fixing any of the many problems with their technology. The ghost tap problem, for example, has been around since the Slate shipped, eight months now, and we've not even seen an acknowledgement of the problem, let alone a solution.

Whatever my next Windows tablet is - it will NOT have n-Trig in it.

4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I feel your pain.

Bronsky:cool:

Edit: the problem I have with Wacom, is that it has failed to respond to the market demand for a 9 or 10" fanless tablet. At this point, I'm just hoping for better N-Trig performance and am seriously considering getting rid of the slate for the new Thinkpad tablet. The android os is the only thing giving me pause. I can probably pay for most of the thinkpad by selling the slate and can avoid the end need to extend tha warrany on the slate, which should more than make up the difference. I am using the notetaking function more and more and would like better inking but don't want to give up the decent touch response of the slate. I'll be watching the thinkpad's release with interest to see what initial owners think of the input. No more buying slates sight-unseen.

5. angelix

angelix Pen Pal - Newbie

I have to say that I am alittle puzzled about this matter.

Last week after getting really frustrated about the "touch gosting" I downloaded the drivers and reinstalled them.

Straight away everything started to be "just perfect" to the point that even the apps were working better and faster ( I use the full M$ Office 2010 suite, one note and Firefox extensively)

3 days later sitting in the living room where I experienced most of the issues, the problems pop up again!

I am really convinced there has to be an external influence as it always happens in the same room, on the same chair.

The other thing I was thinking is that I always Hybernate the Tablet, I never did that with the laptop or the PC, therefore I am thinking that maybe there is something not right with the "awakening" and the Ntrig Driver?

I am doing some experiments and see how it goes.

I wonder tho' what these at Ntrig do.... they do not proviode support whatsoever and in my opinio thie is simply unacceptable nowadays!

6. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

I recently grabbed my old TC1100 and started it up for the first time in about half a year, as I needed something that will run OpenGL. I was amazed at how much better the 8-year-old Wacom system performed than the n-Trig. The writing experience is somehow much more natural and smoother. I didn't realize it, but the HP Slate has weaned me off the pen by making it too frustrating to use. For example, the tip icon so often refuses to show that it is worthless. With touch-only it works consistently, as with the Wacom pen.

The other difference between these two tablets that immediately jumped at me is the screen. The Hydis panel in the TC1100 makes the device enjoyable to use, whereas the color shifts/inversions and glare on the HP Slate annoy me. N-trig may be responsible for the pen issues but HP definitely dropped the ball on the screen choice. Shame on them.

7. cmergel

cmergel DBA by trade.

I too have an old TC1100 (W7) and the HP Slate and I couldn't agree with you more about your observations. The Wacom Pen on the TC1100 is like a hot knife through butter compared to the N-trig Pen on the Slate, which is like eating soup with a fork (not very useful). Wacom Rules! I don't know how or why N-trig is in business or why tablet mfg. are still using them with such an inferior product. I too agree about the screen, but add that the screen size on the TC1100 is more the right size for me.

I won't be getting rid of my TC1100 any time soon. I still enjoy using it.

8. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

Just some things to consider. Is your chair next to a light with a compact fluorescent bulb? Fluorescent lights have been suggested as a problem.

Does your chair have wool upholstery? Static electricity has been suggested as a problem.

9. revmike

Mine was sitting on a desk untouched when the programs, google earth and the rear webcam started up on their own.

10. angelix

angelix Pen Pal - Newbie

No, it is a normal Ikea armchair upholstered in cotton fabric.

No fluorescent lights

the chair is 4 meters away from the LCD TV and it is just under an armored arch which supports half of the upper floor.

I did notice that on the same chair ANY mobile will loose 100% the signal.

As I said I am preatty sure there is a pattern somwhere, i just need to figure it out :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.