Screen Creak on the T4220

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Mac Wilson, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sorry for the late reply; the link is here (updated in the old post as well).

The circles and rubber pad (not too sure about the rubber pad since the last time I looked under it was months ago) hide screws, you'll need to get all of them off.

To get the circle stickers off without damage, slip a thin (1-2mm) flathead screwdriver under them and gently pry off. It might scratch the plastic surface a little but it won't be noticeable except under close scrutiny.

There are two parts to the hinge; I believe the problem you are describing lies with the upper portion (front/back movement). You'll need to remove the two screws at the back of the tablet; this allows you to remove the plastic locking piece behind as well, allowing you to lift up and remove the hinge cover.

The front/back tension is adjustable, but it seems to be lubed (all the laptop hinges I've taken apart so far seem to be lubed) so I'd still suggest getting it down to a service centre, unless you happen to have the right type of lube available for reapplication after you're done cleaning.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Kas

Kas Pen Pal - Newbie

Does that mean I would have to open the screen bezel as well as the hinge cap to get to the hinge? I have some silicone lube which should work well.

3. Kas

Kas Pen Pal - Newbie

I ended up taking it down and lubing it up. The hinge now glides very smoothly and the cracking sound has disappeared. Another plus was I got rid of a few annoying dust particles on the screen. Ill see what I can do in terms of pictures later.

4. kureshii

Ah, glad to see that fixes it =) Future problems will probably be referred to this thread, so those pictures would really help. I can put up disassembly pictures, but not for lubing...

5. Rieuk

Rieuk Scribbler - Standard Member

Awesome :D

I will be following in your footsteps, Kas. Just waiting for the pictures... :)

I assume you ended up taking the screen bezel off (since you removes dust particles from the screen). Did you use the silicone lube?

Kureshii, the disassembly pictures would also be really appreciated as well.

6. Kas

Kas Pen Pal - Newbie

The screen bezel had to come off. This step is the hardest to do, I actually ended up cutting myself and bleeding on the screen. :eek:

So far the silicone lube is working great. The only thing Im concerned about is that it may eventually harden and then start to seize the hinge as before.

The only damage to the laptop are the slightly dented circles in the corners. The damage is that that bad, but its enough to bug my OCD self.

7. jimdab

jimdab LifeStudent

8. kureshii

Ok, finally found the time for FAQ-making. I am not responsible for any warranty breakage that might ensue ;)

[​IMG]
    First thing you'd want to do is remove these 3 screws at the bottom.

[​IMG]
    Next, these 2 at the back. You can remove the back plate once these 2 are out, with some wiggling (or with less wiggling once the keyboard plate is removed)

To remove the keyboard plate, you'll need to take out the tabs at the sides. Here's a quick three-step guide:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Great, now the keyboard plate and back plate are out. Next is the big boss, the screen bezel. Part one, the screw covers. Here's how to remove them with minimal damage:
    [​IMG]
    End result:
    [​IMG]
    More screws under here:
    [​IMG]

Alright, all screen bezel screws are out (6 of them). How to get the bezel out? Video link! (if it looks easy, I had plenty of practice before shooting ^_~)

Quick reference to tab positions. The red rectangles were added after I'd reassembled the tablet (how else would I edit that image?) so that's what I can recall from memory though. I'd suggest unlocking the sides first, then the top (make sure to do the top, or the screen bezel will be a real ***** to remove!). The bottom will be a piece of cake after that.

The hinge cover should be easy enough to remove after this, with some wiggling. If you're having difficulty try moving the screen back and forth while puling out the hinge cover.

The fruits of your labour:
    [​IMG]

Just one thing I forgot to mention: The two back screws are responsible for holding the hinge securely to the chassis (via the back plate; if you look at the back plate photo again you'd notice the screw holes are out of alignment once the screen is down). If you have screen creak (should we make this the official term? LOL), try tightening these 2 screws first. Then tighten the screws holding the hinge to the screen and base (refer to last image). If that fails, then resort to lube.

Jimdab made a good point as well; feel free to replace the plastic ruler with the screen removal tool. Or sharpen that ruler with a dremel or penknife =)

This FAQ gives you (almost) full access to the hinge (might need to remove the keyboard as well to reach certain parts); if you just need to access the upper portion of it, skip the keyboard plate and back plate and go straight to the bezel.

Final warning: please be REALLY careful when doing this. There's always the risk of injuring yourself, scratching the tablet/screen, stripping a screw head/thread, breaking a locking tab, etc...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  9. Rieuk

Rieuk Scribbler - Standard Member

Kudos Kureshii, thanks a bunch for that. Small question though - how do you put the screw hole caps (circular pads and rectangular rubber pads) back on securely? If you used some glue, what type was it? I woldn't think it would be super glue otherwise if something went wrong again you wouldn't be ale to take it apart anymore.

Now I'll just wait for Kas' instructions on lubing and I'm good to go...:)

And lol, yes screen creak should officially be part of laptop lingo.

10. kureshii

The adhesive on the circular screw hole cover stays on the cover and is reuseable, as long as you don't get too much dust on it or scratch it off.

The glue holding the rubber bongs (flanking the screen clip) is a different type though, that type is more like mouldable rubber and is much harder to work with. As far as possible try not to touch it, since it doesn't hide anything underneath it either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.