Screen Creak on the T4220

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by Mac Wilson, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kas

Kas Pen Pal - Newbie

Iv owned my t4215 for about 6 months. So far its worked flawlessly, however I have noticed that my hinge is starting to give. When I open or close the top, it makes a slight cracking sound. It appears to be coming from the hinge itself. When ever I open or close my notebook I end up praying that the screen does not give. I had a similar problem with another notebook, and it eventually resulted with the screen cracking due to the shear force applied to it.

Has anyone had such a problem? How do I go about getting this unit fixed?

2. Chocobo

Chocobo Scribbler - Standard Member

I've found a similar problem with my t2010, in that the hinge tilts off its base a bit before actually turning. This creates a small amount of wobble. Fujitsu has, however, refused to fix this problem...so I don't know.

3. Rieuk

Rieuk Scribbler - Standard Member

I also have this problem - the hinge makes the cracking noise every time he lid is forced to move and the hinge is flexing disconcertingly. The weakest point I think is the base though (the part with the keyboard on it) and so that'll be the first to crack, followed by the screen bezel. I can understand what Kas is going through whenever the lid is opened closed - an excruciating amount of anxiety when the big 'snap' is heard and you close your eyes, then open them to see that the hinge is ok but that it's only a matter of time till it cracks.

I think we can agree that the problem is that the lubricant inside the hinge is deteriorated or that too much dust has found itself in the hinge mechanism. I've seen a tutorial for cleaning out the hinge for some other tablet, so I guess we'd have to do pretty much the same thing. I haven't got around to doing it yet because I have no idea where to start.

4. Kas

Kas Pen Pal - Newbie

Dust and a lack of lube does seem to be the problem. I will see how much I can take apart later on. Hopefully I dont do more damage than is already there.

5. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here's an old thread describing the same problem, some of the replies might help.

By the way, can I confirm that what you have is a T4225 and not, say, a T4220 or T4215? Wow, I can't believe I'm so outdated I didn't even hear about its release T_T

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Rieuk

lol, edit your post, Kas.

BTW kureshii, where is the post link?

Kas, if and when you do start taking apart the tablet, can you please take pictures as you go? This would be beneficial to all of us, including you when you have to put it back together :p

7. Kas

Kas Pen Pal - Newbie

Fixed. :)
    I was just looking at it this morning and noticed three screws on the bottom, under the hinge. They are hilighed by arrows. If you pop them out, you can get access to the hinge where it meets the notebook body. I removed the dust and added some silicone lube, however it still makes the sound.

8. Rieuk

Mmm, that's probably because (and I just realised this) the problem is not in the hinge, it's in the shaft like bits sticking out of the hinge which the lid rotates on...notice that the shafts do not rotate when the lid is moved.

There are rubber pads above each side of the hinge and I wonder if they're covering screws to access the shafts. Otherwise the screen bezel would have to come off to fix the problem and that's something which has been done by people before.

9. jimdab

jimdab LifeStudent

haha. and i suppose it's too dangerous to lift them and cause possible damage to check on what is under those rubber pads?

one little blemish on the front and you will be staring at that blemish until the day you sell your t4220. i'm sure there is a manual somewhere in the documentation with instructions on how to fix the hinge. i would open up my hinge as soon as it started making a noise to avoid things from getting worse as long as it doesn't affect the warranty.

10. Kas

Kas Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried to remove the circle pads on the corners but stopped before I scratched something. Theres already a small dent in the side of it, and I don't want to mess with it any more.

I called Fujitsu and was told to take to to an authorized center for a look over. If necessary it would be shipped back to Fujitsu and fixed. Now to find the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.