Screen Calibration

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by jenny1671, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M1416

M1416 Pen Pal - Newbie

Taken from shamasis' blog:

Calibrate Tablet PC Screen

It all started when I decided to do a clean install of Windows Vista onto my HP TX 1000 Tablet PC. In order to remove the set of unnecessary applications that come pre-installed in their PCs, many users prefer doing a fresh install of the OS from a standard installation media (not from the recovery disc.)
    The issue: Facing error while calibrating the Tablet PC screen in a fresh install of Microsoft Windows Vista.

ccalibration screen If you are a Tablet PC owner (a laptop with a touch sensitive screen,) you must be familiar with a thing called "Screen Calibration." Screen calibration helps the OS to determine the edges of the screen so that the cursor and the pen touch point remain precise. (For those who play PC games: it is somewhat similar in concept to Joystick or Gamepad calibration.) All that you need to do is coincide your stylus/pen with four cross marks presented to you at four edges of the screen (one at a time).

Problem: Upon installation of Microsoft Windows Vista Operating System, I realized that the Tablet Screen needed a re-calibration. When I tried to do so, I found that whenever I tried to click one of the cross marks, I got a system beep and it did not take the input. Pointing the pen half a centimeter diagonally outwards from the actual point resulted in a valid input. However, this caused a wrong calibration and I always had an error (offset) of the cursor by half a centimeter. This was pretty frustrating and was a severe hindrance while exactly pointing at any object.
    This problem is applicable to almost all brands and makes of tablet PCs (as on date.)

Steps to the Solution: This had happened almost three months back from now and I had almost stopped using the touchscreen due to this error in calibration. I had Googled many a times but did not find any solution. I called up Microsoft and they simply referred back to HP (my laptop manufacturer.)

It was just a week ago that I stumbled upon this page. http://www.gnegg.ch/archives/367-Careful-when-clean-installing-TabletPCs.html. This had a solution from Philip Hofstetter. Thanks a ton Philip for your efforts.

The Solution:

There is something called the "factory calibration" of the touch panel that End-users cannot perform using their Vista calibration tool. This calibration data is stored in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TabletPC\LinearityData in the form of a binary blob. (this key location is applicable to all Vista Tablet PCs.)

This data is lost upon fresh installation of the OS. And as of now, there is no tool to do the factory calibration.

Hence, the solution would be:

1. Export this registry value before you re-install the OS. This can be done using the tool called Registry Editor (regedit). And re-import it after a clean install of the OS.
    2. Ask a friend/colleague to supply you the registry data of the above-mentioned key from another Tablet of the same model. (Note that other models generally doesn't seem to work. However, you can give it a try.)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Im reinstalling the hp version of vista and then reinstalling my 64-bit one. I really want the screen to work for me.

2. cpluse

cpluse Pen Pal - Newbie

Wow, that sound great. It's funny how HP support didnt want us to really know about this. Do know how easy it would of been for some who sent here HP back maybe thinking they got a new screen when maybe all they got was a reg fix. Crazy thought. I'm glad I know this now because I got my wife one. And i know there going to be stuff on there she wont need. Thanks again for the information. I cant count how many post I'v seen with this problem.

3. M1416

M1416 Pen Pal - Newbie

Just finished reformatting the computer and confirm this WORKS. If anybody needs the calibration data for a tx1218ca let me know. Also has anybody got the buttons to rotate the screen to work? Windows says it needs hp quicklaunch buttons driver ver h1.600 to work. But they are not listed among the drivers for download of this notebook.

4. ParisAsta

ParisAsta Dell XT2

What if you upgraded to vista?

I have noticed that my pen is off, but a hair, and it does make selecting things a pain.

I have tried to use vista screen thiny, but it just keep beeping at me!

5. puma165

puma165 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi there, I´m having problems with my touch screen after an OS reisntalation.. I´m wondering if its posible you send me the calibration data for my tx1218ca, or maybe recovery disc image, cause i lost all my hard drive... Thanks alot anyway

6. Nihility

Nihility Pen Pal - Newbie

Use the HP quicklaunch drivers from here:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=e&cc=us&lang=en&product=3658348

It'll make the screen rotation and mobility center work.

7. alan sh

alan sh Scribbler - Standard Member

Can you just post the registry keys here ?

Alan

8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Another solution is to make a restore point of the newly installed OS. install the touchdriver from eeti and calibrate using their software & then restore the OS to the restore point & recalibrate using Vista's calibration tool.

Made it much more accurate & you can also increase the sensitivity.

Found this info from another user on the thread. but can't find the thread to give the user credit, will post back when i find it.

This only works on the tx1000 as far as i know, not sure if the tx2500 uses the same touch screen as the tx1000.

9. amuller

amuller Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, for me it works when I created a shortcut on my desktop pointing to "tabcal.exe novalidate" (without quotes), then I executed, calibrated with my fingers, and now it's perfect. Hope this can help you.

10. pspiropoulos

pspiropoulos Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a pavilion tx1000z cto with the same problem. The HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\TabletPC\LinearityData registry is missing. I seem to have lost it after doing an op sys reload. Please provide the contents of this registry so I may add it back in.

Thank you. Perry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.