Sciense student, convertible

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Regel, Feb 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Regel

Regel Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget?
    $1900 is the absolut maxium. But I'd prefer if it was closer to 1600-1700 USD.

2. Do you prefer a Slate, Convertible or Ultra Mobile PC (UMPC)?
    Convertible

3. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    12" - 14", chech resolution too.

4. Which country do you intent to purchase from?
    Finland (southern Europe). But my retailer can get me pretty much from every manufacturer. HP, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Asus.. though not Gateway.

5. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    Nope.

6. How many hours battery life do you require?
    At least 4 hours with few tweaks. But I'm willing to carry a second battery in my back to get it around 8 hours.

7. What do you intend to use the Tablet for?
    I'm starting science in uni next september. So the Tablet would be for programming, notes, possibly for replacing my calculator from time to time.

8. Do you have an OS preference?
    Vista HP, Business or Ultimate pre-installed, but I might dualboot it with Linux.

9. What software and tasks do you intend to run?
    Programming (perl, python, possibly C++ and java later). Firefox, OneNote, Word, Excel, Graph, Maxima, Maple, Mathlab.

10. Do you intend playing Games. If so please list.
    No, as i'm going to get an X0 too.

Screen Specifics

1. Do you prefer standard or widescreen?
    Wide, but standard will do if other requirements are met.

2. What resolution do you prefer?
    1280x768 or bigger. If 14" screen, then the resolution should be bigger.

3. Do you require an Indoor only or Indoor/Outdoor screen option?
    Mostly indoor, some occasional outdoor - once or twice a year. = able to distinguish something on the screen in shade.

4. Do you require a Passive or Active Digitizer?
    Active.

5. Do you require Wacom or Finepoint Technology?
    Wacom.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require?
    80GB or bigger HDD (or SSD). At least 2 GB ram.

2. Do you require an Optical Drive?
    Is that the same as DVD-drive? Then yes.

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?
    Not too small keyboard. And the Keyboard shold have scandinavian layout. HP has scandinavian versions, Fujitsu and Toshiba too. But I can manage with the US one too.

Having heard that AMD gets HOT, I'd like the Tablet to have C2D (not low voltage) processor to keep the temperature down. Integrated graphics will do.

I'm going to buy it before fall, preferably before summer. Thank you for your help.

2. Righi

Righi Pen Pal - Newbie

I think the Toshiba M700 would be a perfect fit for you... as I've been reading its doing a really great job in keeping a nice temperature, and you also get the latest technologies and performance in tablets, price is about what you want... I would just recommend you to buy it with 1 gig ram, and then buy a 2gb stick and make it a 3gb maniac... You can also check the Fujitsu Ebay Store... but their regular prices are far above.... both fujitsu and toshiba have the optical drive that can be dismounted to save weight (on the fujitsu you can even have a modular bay battery on the place of the optical drive), the Toshiba thought has got a Wide display, something I think is great specially for taking notes on slate mode... I'm actually getting an m700 for university, I say do some research about it, I think complexis poste a FUJITSU T4220 VS TOSHIBA M700 review... I think these are the both tablets that will fill your needs, the toshiba has even a Mainstream Model with 1g RAM for U$1,6999, then you buy some kingston memory, and you'll be on the run!

3. hamud

hamud Pen Pal - Newbie

I think ASUS R1E is the best in the convertible market now !!and so for u

4. jacklazara

jacklazara Pen Pal - Newbie

+1 for asus r1e

5. Regel

Regel Pen Pal - Newbie

Toshiba is out. They have approximately 1000-2000 USD extra in their european prices. So they are out of my budget, unfortunately.

I have to chech R1E's price.

6. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

The only Tablet PC with a 14.1" display is the Gateway C-140X/141X. Since it is not available outside of the U.S., this is not a viable option for you.

You could check with Armen with Laptop Authority if he can ship from the U.S. (where they are located) to Finland -- chances are they will be able to since there are a couple of members here who bought abroad from the U.S. and shipped into Europe; also ask how much it will be: including custom, shipping, taxes and other associated fees. The available brands they have are: Fujitsu (T4220, T2010, ST5112, ST5111), Lenovo (X60t, X61t), Asus (R1F, R1E), and Motion Computing (LE1700).

You may also want to ask if they offer a student discount as well, never hurts to ask. :)

7. Righi

Righi Pen Pal - Newbie

Well with the Asus one, if you'll only get that 4 hour Tweaking and using the extra battery... not to mention the Battery Wear problem... just do some research at the forum....

I'd buy one myself FOR SURE, if it wasn't the damm battery problem

8. Regel

Regel Pen Pal - Newbie

Some people have been saying that the Battery works just fine in R1E (not R1F). Is this true?

But they have said that the mouse cursor keeps getting bugged in a corner. Is that true? Is there a fix available?

If these problems are solved, I'll probably get R1E.

9. chaos151

chaos151 M700 Mook

If you can get the M700 for a decent price I highly recommend it. I just got one myself for taking notes in class. While the portrait mode works great, my professors are using power point slides and converting the display to landscape while in portrait works awesome for Powerpoint and writing on the slides.

The slice battery works good from a purely functional point of view; however, it is heavy and I think toshiba really needs to move to the modular battery bay for it.

Carrying the lappie isn't to bad, but it really does start to feel like a brick carrying around the slice battery too, but overall it is doable.

The M700 also has the advantage of the full processor instead of those ULV ones and the 120 gb 7200 drive doesn't get hot and isn't noisy even in the classroom.

10. Regel

Regel Pen Pal - Newbie

The problem is that Toshiba Finland decided to make some more money and their price went up. So M700 isn't an option for me anymore.

Yeah, but no ULV for me. Thanks for reply. Could someone varify the status of R1E/F's problems. Are they fixed?

Edit: Apparently R1E's mouse cursor is thill messed up. So R1E/F is not a viable option until some people confirm that the cursor bug is fixed. That means.. HP tx2000, Lenovo X61 - with the bigger resolution if I can find it - and possibly M700 if those shops here in Finland can import it.

Edit2: Well, X61 Tablets seem to have only 1024x768 resolution available, so X61 is out. And I asked Toshiba Finland about M700, it won't fit my budjet. That leaves me with HP TX2020 eo (TL-60 model). It arrives here 11.2, so I'm probably going to our Capital City next month to check it out. Thanks.

PS. Should you know any major problems with Tx2000, I'd be happy to listen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.