Sci-Fi predictions that came true

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by doobiedoobiedum, Oct 24, 2021.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Not forgetting Arthur C Clarke's 8 accurate predictions of satellites / internet / mobile phones etc etc I was listening to BBC News on my friend's Alexa today when the announcer says "just ask Alexa for more" (in greater depth on each story) otherwise it would go onto the next feature - which reminded me of this...

Funny how little throwaway lines come back 20+ years later and are part of our everyday lives.

nnthemperor likes this.
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

That is a very misunderstood movie. LOL. I always liked it, because it's such a tongue-in-cheek critique of jingoist us-versus-them mentality. But most folks I spoke to who saw it never saw the satire-- they couldn't get past the plastic, gorgeous, perfect soldiers saying stock dialogue. A good one, IMO.

Dig that little "want to know more?"

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  3. doobiedoobiedum

Verhoeven should have been asked to make a whole lot more movies. I think his tongue was even more firmly in cheek there - though the 6000 SUX was pretty obvious.

Here's another sci-fi prediction that sort of came true - video calling from 2001: A Space Odyssey except that it's from a booth. (In the UK, phone booths have pretty much been vandalised so this would never happen.)

4. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Well, since Bell Labs set up a "picturephone" at the 1964 World's Fair where you could call someone in California—at Disneyland where it became a regular feature and I played with it as a kid—2001 only gets credit for the fancier/futuristic concept implementation, not the idea. ;)

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

Damn, that is hella cool. Also shows there are very few unique new thoughts because someone will have always had the idea in some form before.

dellaster likes this.