scanning odd even pages merge

Discussion in 'Software' started by omrico1, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmlerner

dmlerner Scribbler - Standard Member

How can I use adobe or any other software to combine a pdf of odd pages with a pdf of even pages into one big pdf?

2. thoughts13

thoughts13 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've wondered myself, as it would be much easier to scan a whole stack of papers, then flip them over and let the scanner go through again.
    hope you get your answer.

3. IMNOTDRPHIL

IMNOTDRPHIL Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, it depends on what software you are familiar with using. PDFedit is what I use and it will allow you to insert arbitrary pages from other PDFs into a PDF file. It is a very powerful and advanced tool for dealing with PDFs and it is open-source software, so it is free as well. However, it only runs on Unix-like operating systems like Linux and BSD and not Windows.

Another route would be to download OpenOffice.org 3.0 and Sun's OpenOffice.org PDF import tool to import all of the PDF pages into OpenOffice.org Draw. Then you can rearrange the pages into the correct order and export as a merged PDF. This method does run on Windows. However, the results tend to be a little bit spottier in preserving formatting than using PDFedit, which puts out flawless results. It is also much slower than using PDFedit, which may be a big consideration if you have something like a hundred pages taking up 50 MB to combine.

I haven't used Adobe Acrobat or expensive PDF editing programs, so I can't tell you how to use them. I don't do the warez stuff and also won't pay the hundreds or thousands of dollars that legitimate versions of those programs sell for.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. IMNOTDRPHIL

IMNOTDRPHIL Pen Pal - Newbie

You could do that. But depending on how many papers you want to scan, it might end up being faster to just flip the papers when you scan each one and make a PDF of the scans of them in the right order rather than rearrange the PDF file's pages after using the document feeder. It can take significant CPU horsepower and time to deal with that many pages in a PDF, especially since they are all just PDFs of bitmap images. If you use a tool like PDFedit, you can probably script the program to automatically insert the pages in the right order and just walk away and let it crunch at it for a while. If PDFedit can't script it, I know it could be done using a combination of PDFedit, ghostscript, and bash. I can guarantee you that would take much longer than flipping the papers unless you're scanning reams of documents. In that case, invest in a scanner that will flip your document with the feeder to scan both sides.

5. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Beause I had the same problems and didn't knew about PDFEdit and I haven't found such a tool for Windows - I also haven't found such a feature in Acrobat - I took a different, still fast, but a bit more diffictult, way.

You open the PDF with Acrobat, select all pages, and let them save as seperate files in a folder. Do this with both PDF files in two different folders.
    Now you have two folders with a few PDF files, each PDF files represents one page.
    Use a batch renaming program, like Metamorphose (I used v.2), and rename the files with this tool like: (I used Metamorphose because this program was one of the few which sorted the PDFs in the right order)
    You rename odd pages to something like: 0001.pdf, ... 0153.pdf, ...
    You rename even pages to something like: 0001a.pdf, ..., 0153a.pdf, ....

Then put all the renamed files in a single folder and combine them with Acrobat again.

I know, it takes a bit longer, you have to do a bit more, but still, you only start the operations, like save, rename, combine, the rest does the PC automatically.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. dmlerner

dmlerner Scribbler - Standard Member

@Frank: Sounds ruddy brilliant, I'll give it a go and report back.
    Alrighty I got it to work using third party stuff that put a goshdarned water mark when it split things. How do I do that in Acrobat? I do cntrl+a but it just asks if I want to run OCR (and it's handwritten notes, I don't want to/care to)

7. omrico1

omrico1 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.