Sandisk Thumbdrive Failures

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Steve S, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Label me as the latest victim of a failed Sandisk thumbdrive. The drive in question was an Extreme USB 3.0 32GB device that had only been lightly used because it was an archive for a few app installers that I wanted to keep track of. It wasn't one of their cheap products.

Nonetheless, plugged it in and tried to save a file... and it was suddenly dead. Seriously, Sandisk, what happened to you...???

PS: There was a fairly recent discussion of storage media, Sandisk and quality in the Vegas, Baby 2019 (CES) discussion thread:

forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/vegas-baby-2019-ces.74776/#post-531601

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That sucks!

I've had great experiences with the Extreme line:

[​IMG]

However, I've read some user reviews stating that their sticks can get very hot, to the point of the plastic casing melting! -From doing long read/writes (video?) without cool down is my guess.

But yeah, I've definitely been reading the user reviews more carefully when USB stick shopping. I'm on my second aluminum body Extreme Pro stick (128 Gb) and they've both been very fast and fully reliable. I've been using the Sandisk Extreme line for several years now with no worries and zero failures.

[​IMG]

-Though, these (above) get hot as well. I tend to do just short bursts of use; medium to large files infrequently with plenty of cool down time, so hopefully that keeps me safe from failures due to overheating.

I wonder if the Western Digital acquisition of SanDisk in 2016 has had some ripple effect on the company?

Steve S likes this.
  3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I've had great experiences with the Extreme line...>>

The Extreme device that you show is exactly the one that failed on me...

thatcomicsguy likes this.