Samsung tab S7 FE

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by crazycat, Oct 6, 2021.

1. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

The wifi version actually had more powerful innard (Snapdragon 778), my 5G model was 750. I'm actually pretty willing to get the Wifi version for less money, because my tablet is not leaving the house ( i have more compacts tablets to carry outside with me).

Our official stores only sell the 5G version though.

2. crazycat

Just tested another thing: triple monitors actually possible! ( One Super Display USB and one Samsung second Display).

But there's some caveats, could be either my GPU limitation or Miracast bandwidth limit ( Super Display seem to make use of Windows build in extend desktop to make it fast):

- Can only output to 1080p display max. i tried reduce the res of the other two displays but couldn't increase the res of the S7 FE to QHD.

- the speed on USB screen is good standard Super Display speed. But the pen speed on Samsung wifi was considerable worse, practically can't draw, and some artifact appear in sudden windows change. This screen is probably only useful for browsing for reference or reading the news. Watching videos could be fine if you're ok with a bit blurriness.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    nyb72 likes this.
  3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Since I'm myself a big multi-monitor nut, I've considered doing such, but my understanding is that Samsungs Second Display works more in the vein of Windows 10 connect/project feature which works so poorly its essentially useless. For a 3rd monitor, you could also just use a regular USB-C monitor, but you would need one with either a built in battery or external power (since Super Display would likely occupy your devices USB-power). Another option could be using Duet Display in Addition to Super Display?

crazycat likes this.
  4. crazycat

Get more experimental and tried four displays with my Ugee through HDMI.

- It was able to connect, but the wifi display through Samsung second screen is practically unusable. The screen artifacts badly the second I try dragging anything on it and take a whole minute to settle down.

- if only three display( one HDMI and one USB), they run really well, the S7FE work at QHD and as smooth as the Ugee.

- A problem is because the two display use different pen tech, the Ugee pen doesn't work on on its own screen and the cursor was forced on the FE screen. If I use Samsung wifi and super display at once, S-pen work on both of them.

@darkmagistric
    -actually I was surprised Super Display and Samsung second Display work so well together without conflict. The Wifi work a bit poorly together with super Display, but it's still quite usable for statics view, and sPen works on both.

-As mentioned above, best speed would be one HDMI / native USB C screen and one Super Display USB (best speed, non compromise resolution- both screen can use its best resolution) problem would be pen conflict if the two screen doesn't use same tech. The Ugee is also powered from USB without problem, but it's only a 11.6 inch, I'm not sure if bigger screen could be powered.

- Also, as shown in my video in earlier post, Samsung wifi display alone wasn't poor at all, I was actually very impressed with the speed, and consider use it when I don't want super Display to plug too long and damage the battery. Its speed is only compromised when used together with super Display

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    Tams and darkmagistric like this.
  5. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

Curious for anyone who owns one how the screen compares to the iPad/iPad Pro. I’m considering getting one for the bigger screen and EMR, but curious how much of a step down the screen is compared to the iPP.

6. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's a very good display especially as LCDS go. It of course lacks the 120 hz display rate of the pros and the mini LED in the 12.9 puts the overall image quality of it in a separate class of it's own.

If you remove the size and aspect ratio from the calculation, in our tests, it's about equal to the display in the current iPad Air in aggregate.

That all being said, especially with deals that Best Buy is offering right now on both it and the keyboard, it's hard to find a better bang for the buck, pen included, tablet IMHO

yodamiked likes this.
  7. yodamiked

yodamiked Do or do not. There is no try.

Thanks for the helpful information. I should have known for a display-related question you would be the first to answer!

I keep seeing TFT in the specs, which brings back memories of absolutely terrible looking TFT laptop and tablet displays with a large air gap between the glass and the screen. I suppose they’ve probably improved quite a bit over the years.

desertlap likes this.
  8. crazycat

I don't see any air gap, and it looks great from all the angle I would at look it from. The EMR pen is as accurate as it can get on the screen. I don't consider the lack of 120hz a cons because I have been using 60hz all my life without issue.

BTW I did a little hack to keep the pen in place (my case didn't have a pen slot):
    [​IMG]
    Put small a black fabric between the case and the back of the tablet would create a sort of "loop", just snap the pen in and it wouldn't come off even if I put the tablet inside a bag.

9. bierot

bierot Scribbler - Standard Member

<<... and consider use it when I don't want super Display to plug too long and damage the battery.>>

Why is Super Display damaging the battery? Is it not recommended to use Super Display through the USB port?

10. crazycat

It's actually not about Super Display, just some battery usage habit to best preserve a lithium battery: not letting the battery stay charged at 100% too long, not letting the battery get below 20%, avoid using the device while charging for too long to avoid battery heating etc..

They are advices from 5-6 years ago and I'm sure batteries had gotten much smarter now ( shut down before getting too low, stop charging when it get 99%), but still I hope to keep using this tablet a few years longer than it's common lifecycles.