Samsung tab S7 FE

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by crazycat, Oct 6, 2021.

1. crazycat

crazycat Scribbler - Standard Member

So after much debating with myself, I had fallen for the temptation and bought the tab S7 FE for 450$ (4GB /64GB/5G/ Snapdragon 750).

Successfully installed a photodon screen protector I had laying around first try. It were for the HP2760p and didn't fully cover the bezel, but still work well to cover the whole display and give a nice feel with the pen.:D

First impression was great so far:

-Super Display run well on OneUI 3 without issue. I can run it in QHD with almost no delay over USB 3.1 on my new gaming laptop ( couldn't find much difference from my HDMI connected XP-Pen, and less cable, yay.) I do find slight delay over usb 2.0 on my older PC but still pretty much doesn't affect drawing. 12.4 16:10 is reall nice, CSP run smoothly with touch support.

- Samsung gift free 6 month CSP and canva for first time buyer. I haven't taken advantage of the offers yet, waiting for occasion when I'm forced on mobile.
    - installed krita, the interface was a bit clunky due to being a direct desktop port, but still leave good amount of space thanks to big screen and full screen mode. The first thing to disable is high dpi interface ( make the UI smaller for more drawing space) and finger painting ( palm rejection is almost perfect and gestures still work. No one-finger pan unfortunately).Drawing with regular brush is quite smooth despite the limited ram.

-the pen magnet storage is like asking for trouble, the magnet is weak and can easily unattach when you put it in a bag or something. Unlike tab S6 lite, they didn't bother to paint the pen attaching locations so I would have to guess, and it's easily slipped off if only partly attached.

I will update more as I play around more with it:D.

2. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Any other impressions on the performance overall? We got a look just prior to release and didn't have a chance to run our full suite of certification tests.

We did test the display (cause I'm a display nerd) and it was surprisingly good; not quite the "wow" of the Tab S7 + OLED overall, but excellent for an LCD, and actually it a bit more accurate than the 7 +, out of the box anyway.

BTW: I've noticed that both the folio cover and keyboard have a slot for the pen which appears to tuck the pen in around the hinge of the case, albeit at the cost of making the whole thing a bit wider when fully open,

Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
  3. crazycat

I haven't stressed my tablet yet ( don't often do because I usually only draw with my tablet and nothing else).

Tried opening a 8k canvas on Krita and it lagged badly even with the simplest brush. 4k was fine unless I use very complex brush at bigger than 250px. But Krita is still in beta and was a resources hook even on PC, and I was saving the CSP free subscription for later so haven't tried it yet. The tablet UI was smooth, browsing was nice and haven't stutter even a little. Just got my tablet yesterday so I would need to draw on it more for impression.

I mainly gonna hook it up with my PC to draw on Super Display and edit arts /light drawing on the go, so the screen quality and size is most important. The spec was also nice enough tho.

Attached Files:

4. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Thanks for that. One other thing I will say , that the reviews don't mention enough, is that it feels really well made overall with zero obvious flex and a nice feel in hand.

5. crazycat

Right, I must say the tablet was very sleek and thin with very slim bezel. It's the nicest looking tablet i got my hand on. I'm a bit afraid that press my hand too hard on it over the bed could bend it because the thinness and was waiting for my bookcover to arrive.:p

6. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm watching all the reviews now. Samsung is offering one of these for $199 with the purchase of a zfold 3 and I'm wondering if I should jump on that. I'm typing from my s6 lite now, which I'm a big fan of. The fe seems to be made in the same style, just bigger.

Sent from my SM-P615 using Tapatalk

7. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

Not to hijack thread but how is WiFi on your s6 lite?
    Mine shuts down occasionally, Some sort of power setting? Not sure.

8. violajack

I've never had a problem with it. I also have lte.

Sent from my SM-P615 using Tapatalk

Kumabjorn likes this.
  9. crazycat

So I realized my tablet had OneUI 3.1 that support Samsung Second Display natively over Wifi so I have to test it out. The connection was so easy with just a push of a button. Here is a comparison video between this and Super Display. It was really interesting.

This was done with my Lenovo Gaming 3 laptop ( Ryzen 3 4600H/ GTX1650/8GB) over USB 3.1

Samsung solution was surprising good. Even though there were some line quality losing ( the fast curve wasn't smooth) and a little delay, but it's totally usable because I don't draw that fast. Actually it was on par with Super Display over USB 2.0 connection to my old outdated PC, and faster than my old Wacom EMR Atom Windows tablet. Connect was easy with one button push.

Super Display USB solution was the best in comparison. Lines was fast and fully rounded without any lag. I couldn't find much difference between it and native HDMI drawing screen.

Super Display Wifi was underwhelming, but it could be my wifi being weak. Samsung solution require newer devices with Miracast support, while Super Display can connect to ten year old desktop PC, so probably that make the difference

Marty likes this.
  10. violajack

My S6 lite has 3.1 but doesn't have the Second Screen option. It also does dex but doesn't output video, so it's stuck on the little screen of the tablet. I'm really leaning towards the zfold/s7 fe deal. But my s6 has LTE and the deal is for the base level wifi only s7fe.