Samsung Tab s6 (magnetic s pen + something that looks like a kickstand)

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by paprikaleapt, Aug 7, 2019.

1. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

2. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Nice small bezels, made possible in part by not having a 'prop up' keyboard. Curious if MS will go the same way with the next Go.

3. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Yes the kickstand is a part of the case. Engadget I think had one of it's editors review it last week.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    Marty likes this.
  4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This is neat! The keyboard can split off from the kickstand portion, both of which attach magnetically:

[​IMG]

I do believe this is the first time I've a "detachable, detachable" case. :D

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We got a chance to play with but not test the Tab S6 this morning. They didn't have a sample of the book S yet.

Its still android, but easily the nicest android tablet we've seen and arguably the nicest tablet hardware Samsung has made.

And they definitely hit the magic formula with the case/keyboard. The weight is low and it's thin, but has a decent typing experience. No backlit keys (Can't have everything I guess)

Yet another device along with the iPad Pro that the Windows fans will look at and sigh "if only it ran windows"

paprikaleapt and Cuberdon75 like this.
  6. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

I have an unrelated question.

This Samsung Tab s6 vs the ipad pro 11. Which would you get?

7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Unless you go all in on DEX I'd go with the iPad pro 11.

It's got far better App selection and support and Apple has a solid track record on providing support e.g the original iPad Air is still being supported. Samsung's track record with updates especially on tablets is pretty poor and or scattershot.

As to hardware, the pro 11 is noticeably faster, and the display is a good bit better with better maximum brightness accuracy and color gamut.

I'd call the spen- apple pencil 2 comparison a draw. I actually like the feel of the s-pen better but the pencil has broader support in IOS apps.

Last but not least, unlike with phones where most of us replacing them every couple years, most people hold on to their tablets for a considerably longer period time.

I do think that Samsung made a substantial leap in producing a "pro level" tablet to compete with Apple and maybe with the Tab S7 they will fully catch up.

My $.02 anyway :)

PS: I do think the Tab S6 keyboard cover is superior in a few ways. First and most importantly, the inclusion of a trackpad. It's only a mediocre trackpad but better than Apple's option which is none.

Second, the fact that the keyboard itself easily detaches while the back cover stays on with a built in kick stand is great

Three. having the pen charge on the back with the folio cover providing access with a flip up flap is really clever. It keeps the pen in place when you are pulling it in or out of a bag and the hump provides a nice little tilt up when drawing on a table and/or a grip point when holding it vertically.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
    WillAdams and paprikaleapt like this.