Samsung Tab S3 9.7

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by artistebot, Feb 27, 2017.

?

Do you create art using an Android Device?

1. Yes, I love it.

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. I have not tried it yet, but want to.

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Only on IOS

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Only on Windows

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. On any device that suits my needs.

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I ran across a review of the Samsung keyboard cover, saying that the thing scratches up the glass after a couple of months of regular use.

Has anybody else experienced this?

My keyboard cover is due to arrive shortly.

2. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

I haven't seen any scratches on mine and I've used the keyboard cover as it's only cover for a good few months now. Only problem I have had was the tape on the freaking pen loop melted so the loop fell off, but I live in California and it was really hot that day. It was easy to glue back on but kind of annoying. But I keep mine clean and with a lot of these type of covers it's not the cover that scratches it, it's the dirt and build up that usually cause trouble since the keys are recessed and it has little risers to keep the keys from the screen.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

I thought something like that must be the case; the photos of the scratches in the fellow's review didn't seem consistent with the little rubber feet that would be in contact with the glass.

Others complain that the magnets are not strong enough to prevent the tablet from escaping with little provocation and crashing to the floor, while others say that the magnets are just fine. It sounds like there may have been some quality control issues on the factory floor, or perhaps even more than one factory with different standards.

4. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

My magnets seem fine, if I set it down slightly off it will correct and kind of snap into place, won't move or slip if the cover is closed. If you try to hold it vertically by the keyboard with it open... It actually stays put. Just tested and wow, I expected it to fail that one since I got it used stupidly cheap off ebay.

photo_2018-10-22_13-15-40.jpg

thatcomicsguy and WillAdams like this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

Mine arrived and it seems to be just as reliable as yours, with strong magnets which hold the tablet in place nicely.

The pen loop is junky; it's just stuck down with a bit of double-sided tape and I peeled it up with no effort just to see what the heck it was about. Cheap-o!

Otherwise, the keyboard cover seems to work well enough as both protective folio and data entry. Not a bad purchase for $29 on eBay.

6. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah the loop was a joke and I almost lost my pen because of it. Thankfully because of the shape it was super easy to glue in place without it looking sloppy or making a mess so get that sucker glued down before something bad happens and you should be good to go. It's almost crazy how much better the keyboard connects to it vs the Samsung Ativ 700t I had. Looking at that thing wrong would give me the dreaded windows device disconnected sound.

WillAdams and thatcomicsguy like this.
  7. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What sort of adhesive did you use?

8. Io-T

Io-T Pen Pal - Newbie

Super gorilla glue. My partner was the one that did it and said it was way easier to fix than the damn stand that came with the wacom companion hybrid. The plastic on that thing just came loose from the metal randomly and was a mess to fix. These companies really need to use better adhesives for crap since having to glue pricey equipment together is freaking silly.

thatcomicsguy and WillAdams like this.
  9. thatcomicsguy

Hey..!

I got reverse tethering to work on this thing. I thought that was never going to happen!

I used this solution:

https://github.com/Genymobile/gnirehtet

Context:

Carriers would prefer you to buy a metered "data plan". -So some of them, (and indeed, whoever built and supplied my Galaxy Tab S3 before it found its way onto eBay), go to lengths to prevent users from sharing internet with a host computer.

Even more context:

So, you get one little USB C port on your Galaxy Tab S3, and over it you can do Three Different Things.

1. You can charge your device.
    2. You can transfer files.
    3. You can connect to the internet.

But NOT all at the same time!

I wanted to do them all at the same time. Silly me. That's not how commerce for the sheeple works!

Now, before anybody helpfully interjects to inform me that by using WiFi, I can access the internet and share files with my PC while simultaneously charging over a cable and wonders what am I complaining about.., allow me to explain without excuse that WiFi is not an option and I don't want it to be an option. (Well, here's my excuse: I'm one of those people who stubbornly insists that electromagnetic pollution is part of a plot to melt all our brains and defeat humanity in 4D Chess.) Whatever the case, my stipulation remains: it all has to be done over a hard line connection.

Well, I tried and tried (and tried), but all my attempted fixes and hacks and workarounds and rooting adventures resulted in failure. Until now.

Time heals all wounds, and Time plus Some Bright Code Wizarding surmounts all sketchy paywalls.

Huzzah!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    WillAdams likes this.