Samsung Tab S3 9.7

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by artistebot, Feb 27, 2017.

?

Do you create art using an Android Device?

1. Yes, I love it.

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. I have not tried it yet, but want to.

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Only on IOS

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Only on Windows

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. On any device that suits my needs.

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, it is very frustrating. Bootloader locking is especially a major problem for the Android modding community. When manufacturers or carriers do not allow the unlocking of a bootloader, there is usually a huge backlash over on xda. Their excuse is security, but most people who go so far as to intentionally unlock their bootloader and root their devices are aware of the risks, so it's not a good excuse.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

FYI
    "Magisk" is Scandinavian for magical. Same word in all three languages.

nnthemperor and WillAdams like this.
  3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's a load of damned horse manure. -The obvious nefarious entire purpose of a tablet is to be on-line, (you even have to explicitly tell it to turn off wifi when you're not using it! Always On is the default). Telecoms know that giving out little addictive screen devices to people is like affixing a personal black hole which sucks money and attention energy out of the long pigs.

Making it inconvenient to use your computer's internet for free taps into the universal truth: "The awkward tool doesn't get used."

Instead people spend on their mobile data plans.

Yeah, well they can just watch me not do that.

WillAdams likes this.
  4. thatcomicsguy

Holy crap.

I think I figured out what I was doing wrong...

I'd flashed the wrong version of TWRP. For this device you need the latest version or it fails and all you have access to is the stock reboot menu which only allows Samsung signed installs

I am now, after twenty hours of messing around with this device, seeing a new screen; the TWRP boot loader interface! Keen.

Okay. On to the next step...

Kumabjorn likes this.
  5. jjsa1985

If you've got a working TWRP I would say that's the hard part done. The rest should be fairly straightforward. Best of luck.

6. thatcomicsguy

Thanks!

Though, I think I may not be able to achieve my original goal; that of having power and internet and file transfer all at the same time. (On USB C)

"Hotspot" capability appears to be a hardware switch unrelated to ROM flashing. You need some third party provider to pull a list number for you against the serial number of your device so you can turn on the coveted feature. It sounds like a lot of trouble to get hold of, especially since mine is a refurb and I don't even know where it came from originally. I might just have to live with the limitation.

But I now have a fairly intimate knowledge of the tech, and I think I can see how it will be useful. I'm thinking I might be able to set up a VPN in my house, so at least will be able to do internet and file transfer on the same line and just charge at other times.

Kinda lame, but whatever. It was never meant to be my primary device.

The OEM world is full of sharks smiling nicely at you. Tablets and smart phones are brain staples disguised as fun hats.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  7. jjsa1985

I'm not sure I understand. Are you trying to have your s3 share it's mobile network over ethernet for other devices? I thought you were looking to connect the tab s3 to the internet via Ethernet. If so, I don't know what hotspot has anything to do with it. I found this thread that says you should be able to get power, data and Ethernet over USB on a tab s2 with a basic hub. It should probably work on s3 as well.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/tab-s2/accessories/usb-charging-ethernet-time-yes-t3206704

8. thatcomicsguy

From what I've learned so far from my hours of feverish research...

There are Power over Ethernet (PoE) devices, (apparently, you can tell if a device has this feature because the bit of plastic inside the plug is blue and if you look inside, there is a second set of connectors at the back. I didn't know this! I've not checked my modem yet, but I suspect it's not a PoE device).

The particular adapter mentioned in that thread has a power port for an adapter to supply the necessary charge, so that could work without needing to draw power from Ethernet. It might be good solution.

In any case, unless you have a VPN set up like the dude in that thread mentioned, you can't share files directly with another computer. That's why I was thinking of setting one up. It's a bit of a heavy workaround.

Some models of the S3 allow you to switch on USB tethering, in which case, you can use any number of solutions, and indeed perform tethering from the basic settings panel with minimal effort and without special cables. Mine is missing that feature and I've not been able to find a way to turn it on.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    jjsa1985 likes this.
  9. jjsa1985

Thanks for that explanation. So you're looking for local network sharing over ethernet, right?

10. thatcomicsguy

I'm getting things mixed up. The blue plastic in some USB plugs is indeed an indication of a second set of conductors and a different class of USB, but it's not related to PoE.

There's obviously more research to be done. Every time I reach the end of a marathon tech battle, I throw up my hands in despair and figure it's all over and done with. Then I get a good night's sleep and start thinking again along a new tack...