Samsung Tab S3 9.7

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by artistebot, Feb 27, 2017.

?

Do you create art using an Android Device?

1. Yes, I love it.

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  2. I have not tried it yet, but want to.

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Only on IOS

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. Only on Windows

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  5. On any device that suits my needs.

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. Art_N00b

Art_N00b Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you mean mess up the digitizer permanently or only while using such cases?

Does that case support a low angle for drawing? Say around 20 degrees, give or take.

If not, can you recommend one that does?

EDIT: Found two cases that show photos of a low angle set-up:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW375M5/
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BGVPXP8/

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hey, guys!

So I'm now the proud owner of an S3.

It's pretty neat! I spent the morning exploring around on it and I can see it being useful for what I had in mind, once I figure everything out.

There is one thing I was hoping folks here could help me with:

I need a hub or dongle which can provide both power and internet access at the same time over USB C.

Any suggestions?

It would be super cool if I could pull power over Ethernet as well, but that's probably asking a bit much, and would depend on the router situation, etc.

Cheers!

Kumabjorn likes this.
  3. E.J.Su

E.J.Su Pen Pal - Newbie

Although I never tried this, but I am sure something like this would work. https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Cabl...r+charging&dpPl=1&dpID=41aUWuM7lhL&ref=plSrch

But you'd be wasting that HDMI port though.

4. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. thatcomicsguy

Holy cow.

I've spent a couple of days now trying to 'root' this #@!$ thing.

I just can't figure it out! None of the instruction lists or guides seem to match my experience. "Now, simply do ____ and you're done!"

Uh... nope. It's not working.

So far, all I've managed to achieve is the ability to reliably flash a new operating system, but never with root access. Oh, and I forgot my damned password, and after you do a hard reset, unless you disable Google's little tentacles, then it scowls at you accusingly and still insists on your entering a password for a valid gmail account that I never use and lost the password for and which took me all night to dredge out of my memory hole, or it would just remain locked.

That website which sells "one click roots"? Those dudes are on to something! I might just throw the towel in and give them $40 because I'll be damned if I can figure it out on my own. Without root access, you basically can have your one and only USB C port do one of two things; it can be an internet connection or a file transfer and charging port. -But only one at a time.

So when your battery is on its last legs, you can't just tether it to your computer permanently, because... no internet!

I've mentioned that I don't do Wifi? I don't do Wifi.

Whatever. It looks like an annoyance to me, but we'll see. The pen works nicely for what that's worth.

If I can't turn it into a useful tool, I'm turning it over on eBay to somebody with way more patience than me.

6. artistebot

Hmmm, that sounds frustrating.

I have rooted other devices, the latest one being my 2016 10.1 Tab A w SPen. Did not try my Tab S3...yet. I think only the Wifi model can be rooted, not the LTE model.

What instructions are you using, maybe I can help?

To get rid of all the Samsung/Google "bloat and crap ware", I use Package Disabler Pro. Runs so much better when all that **** is turned off.

I use Wifi, my life is so boring that anyone trying to break in will die from boredom...heh heh.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  7. thatcomicsguy

Thank-you for the offer. I couldn't point to any one set of instructions; I've visited dozens, if not hundreds of different sites hunting down scraps of information. For every problem, there are a bunch of other people who experience the same snag and who worked out solutions, which then open up the next mystery door to the next surprise fail point.

Basically, I've been using Odin to flash ROM, but I can't seem to get TWRP to operate for some reason; it appears to be a vital component in the process, but it either drops the tablet into a reset mode where some switch claiming a violated warranty keeps the tablet in a loop which took another hour of research to break out of. -Or it simply doesn't start, even after flashing successfully.

There are hints that there may be some sort of requirement for a boot loader (??) which I believe needs to be specific to your device and baked into a ROM before it flashes, but the people who know how to do that aren't big on explaining their shorthand, and the automated and pre-made ROMs which are supposedly already set up correctly for my model, flash just fine but aren't rooted.

There's also a program called, "Magisk" I come across now and again which appears to be important for some reason, but I can't figure out why, what it does, or how to install it. "Use ADP" isn't very helpful, (though, amazingly, I've gotten that to work and can remotely install .apk files from my desktop) when it returns messages of "bad footer; installation cancelled". After spending another hour trying to work out why that was, I realized that I didn't even know why I needed the tool in the first place and decided to cut my losses and pack everything up.

Anyway...

I'm just blowing steam.

This is one of the last sites I tried...

https://www.droidviews.com/install-twrp-recovery-and-root-samsung-galaxy-tab-s3-sm-t820-t825/

and another...

https://www.howtorootphone.com/root-galaxy-tab-s3-9-7/

8. artistebot

The process that you are using seems correct. I have seen "Magisk" before too, but could not figure it out, and remain wary of it.

FYI I will only use my older Dell PC running win xp, as I found it confusing to do on Win10 due to older drivers.

When I get a chance this weekend I will look into it.

Cheers...

9. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

Do you have the Verizon model? If so, apparently it can't be rooted. Modding Android requires being very specific about hardware models, otherwise you could end up with a brick, especially when dealing with unlocking bootloaders and rooting. I've modded my fair share of Android devices and I can try to help you out but you would need to say exactly what model you have. WiFi only or LTE, if LTE what carrier? Usually it's the carriers that lock the bootloader and not the manufacturer. I would start by going into settings>about device and noting the model number.

Anyway, if you're not interested in my help, I would just suggest staying away from sketchy sites and sticking to xda. Those one click root options that you spoke about are usually developed at xda and can be had there for free. If you have a little patience and do a lot of reading you can learn a lot at xda. Usually, they are pretty helpful if you post questions there as well, but you will occasionally get the grumpy know it all who refuses to help.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

I appreciate this offer. I'm away for the night and didn't bring the tablet with me, so I'll have to supply you with info later on.

It is astonishing to me when an industry reaches such a point that deliberately holding back their own products from peek performance becomes a prudent business tactic.