Samsung started shipping its Bluetooth capacitive Stylus ( C-Pen ) for TabPro S

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alisaad619, Jun 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

From my understanding of how active Bluetooth styluses work......unpaired they are "supposed" to function as a normal fat foam capacitive stylus....essentially no different from a finger tip. The location of the pen is determined by the touch contact....however when paired with a compatible device....it transmits all the pressure data via Bluetooth. For example.....my old Wacom Fineline pen....is not compatible with the my iPhone 5s, iPad Pro, or Galaxy Note 5.....can't get pressure at all regardless if I pair it and/or use an approved app.....however the pen is still supposed to at least function the same as a non-active fat foam capacitive stylus....and at least as far as the Fineline pen is concerned that is indeed accurate.

It doesn't work as an active pen, but I can use it (in varying degree's) as a fingertip extension. With my 5s and Ipad Pro it works to that fingertip capacity quite well.

However I can also use it on my Note 5.....and even my Surface Pro 3.......more so with the Pro 3.......it's extremely sporadic....like it will register 1 out of every 10-20 strokes If I have the tablet flat on a tablet or bed or something. However If I'm holding the tablet with one hand the probability of the Fineline pen working goes up significantly like to every 3 out of 6 strokes registered. I no longer have the Creative Intuos Stylus 2 to test, but the Fineline pen is virtually the same as far as how the pen basically functions.

However a normal fat/foam capacative stylus works just fine on my Pro 3. So while the Fineline/Creative Stylus can indeed work as basic non-active capacative stylus....it is still foiled in that usage by conductive issues. From either the material the pen tip is made out of.....or more likely the material/glass that composes the tablets screen isn't as conductive with the pen tip. Like Apple's products probably use the same type of glass, hence why from purely a capacative standpoint it works in that capacity very uniform on IOS products. However the Pro 3 which I'm certain uses a different glass composition....that's what prevents the fineline from conducting as efficiently as it does on other screens.

This is no doubt the reason why Wacom didn't extend the fineline/creative stylus to Android/Windows....since unlike iOS products which are generally very uniform in construction.....Android/Windows tablets have more variety in screen material composition which would make a pen like the Fineline and Creative Stylus a mess given it would work better or worse completely random among vast number of tablets in those markets.

Now with the new "Samsung" re-branded Intuos creative stylus..... if there is any hardware change.....its in the pen tips composition or how efficiently the pen conducts to the Tab Pro S's screen composition. If you assume that this Pen was rigged to conduct more efficiently Samsung Products (also assuming that like apple, Samsung uses a similar material composition for most of their products)......Rigging the Intuos Creative Stylus to conduct more efficiently with the Tab Pro S.....could in same turn make it easier to conduct with other Samsung products just as well.....but conversely make it harder to conduct with iOS products.

2. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

You can't swap FCC filings of one device with another.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

But does every device filled with the FCC always get released?

How about we look at model numbers instead

Back in March when news and pics of the Bluetooth C-Pen hit.....there was a model number provided for it.
    "EJ-UW700"

The Amazon link for the Tab Pro Pen lists a different model number,
    "EJ-PW700CBEGUJ"

Unless the model numbers are wrong, definitivly this rebranded Tab Pro Pen is not the same pen originally intended for the Tab Pro S.

Vaga, DRTigerlilly and ATIVQ like this.
  4. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

Wow, I didn't notice that! Good point! Maybe there WAS an alternate pen that got axed!

5. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

It's the electrostatic field it emits from the tip that's not compatible with every touch digitizer. ;)
    With some it works completely, with some other it doesn't work at all and with some other more it simply works poorly.
    More or less like the various wacom aes pens.

6. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

That looks pretty good to me. He writes that the handwriting is better in the bamboo paper app than in onenote. In the video description he says the built in memo app only works well with Wacom pens, and not even his surface pen works well for that. Also he says that palm rejection works well in onenote but not so well in bamboo paper, which leaves stray marks. He also says that there are tails in onenote, similarly to synaptics, but marginally better, which improves if he turns off pressure sensitivity in the desktop onenote (although I don't see it in the video). He says that the buttons are triggered accidentally fairly often. Also, when the the button is long pressed on accident, the pen enters pairing mode, and there is no way to resume using the pen except to pair again. the pen works really well for regular touch input. In the end, he says in terms of handwriting, it is better than synaptics, but a little worse than n-trig, which is worse than Wacom, but the difference with surface pen isn't too noticeable in everyday use.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    Marty and dmo2210 like this.
  7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

The pen is noisy.

ATIVQ likes this.
  8. ecoeco

ecoeco Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm now using the pen and tablet as my go to device for note taking. The pen has a soft end and is less noisy than the surface pen on my surface book.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ATIVQ likes this.
  9. ecoeco

ecoeco Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried running the driver installer on a dell venue pro 8 and a surface book.

The dell told me the software can't run as it is not suitable fir my device. I don't know if the driver is signed somehow to the Samsung tablet or if it's a problem with the dell configuration (wrong processor or touch hardware).

The install wouldn't run on my surface book as it was caught by Windows defender which reported it as a infected with a Trojan. There's no virus on my machine so either Samsung have s large problem with their update system or it's a false positive for some reason.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vaga and ATIVQ like this.
  10. wandrinsheep

wandrinsheep Pen Pal - Newbie

I am really interested in this tablet however a few of my chosen software require wintab. can any of the insightful people here tell me if this implementation of pressure sensitive can work even without wintab?
    thanks in advance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.