Samsung started shipping its Bluetooth capacitive Stylus ( C-Pen ) for TabPro S

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alisaad619, Jun 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh its definitely a re-brand alright. The Fact that it doesn't work on a iphone is itself admission of that fact, since the Intuos Creative Stylus 2.....(and the Fineline pen).....were never iPhone compatible. And the Bluetooth connection was always very finicky....I used to have both the Creative Stylus 2 Pen and the Fineline pen.....both would drop in and out randomly on my Air 1. Much like how Apple purposly makes some features of iOS a royal pain in the ass (like the entire file system, all the syncing crap, etc)....so too with the accessories they have been quite stingy on compatibility. Where screen size and what version of iOS you're running could determine the use of an accessory.

intuos creative stylus.jpg

HeavyHanded and Starlight5 like this.
  2. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

The thing is it is just as simple changing the HID and VID, making ios compatible device think this stuff isn't linked to any hardware in its database and there a non-functional pen.
    Well, that is just one assumption and there's also darkmagistric's claim.

Now the funny stuff is this pen comes out almost at the same time as huawei matepen which also most probably made by wacom (the HID/VID says WCOM) and the people in matebook's thread claimed it is better than this pen (or creative stylus 2, I forgot the details). Either wacom trolled samsung, samsung shot themself on the leg by making crappy custom driver, or huawei paid more to get better product.

This makes it more interesting to see whether the two pen are interchangeable or not as matebook's battery isn't as great as tabpro s.

Starlight5 likes this.
  3. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

That's not consistent with the fact that the pen was filed with the FCC about the same time the Tab Pro S itself was filed. Both products were finalized at the same time. This doesn't stack up with the story that Samsung developed its own pen, and then decided after release that they're switching to a Wacom solution.

Personally, I believe third-party Bluetooth pressure-sensitive pens are way overdue. With Bluetooth 4.2 and 5 we finally have the latency required for a good inking experience, and Samsung has now shown that Windows Ink has no issue accepting pressure sensitivity from a Bluetooth pen.

Since USI is shuffling its feet, a Bluetooth pen that works on almost any touchscreen is the next best thing.

Bluetooth 4.0 has existed since 2010... Developers have had 6 years to put out a good Bluetooth pen.

Speaking of which, I'd like to ask again for someone to post the Samsung Pen software so I can try to install it on non-Samsung devices.

4. jjsa1985

jjsa1985 Scribbler - Standard Member

Just speculation on my part, but may be Samsung had a hard time getting the drivers right for the pen? If the pen is indeed a rebranded Wacom Intuos creative stylus 2, that's the only reasonable explanation I can think of for the delay. So, yeah, if anyone could try the Samsung software and an Intuos creative stylus 2 on some other windows 10 device to see if it can do palm rejection and pressure, it would be great.

WillAdams likes this.
  5. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

That would be the end of the Galaxy Note for me.

6. darkmagistric

Doubtful.....the Creative Intuos Stylus already existed.....it was a finished product technically in its 2nd gen....had that been the plan from the get go....I'm certain Samsung would have had no problem getting a Windows driver from Wacom in time for the proper TabPro S release.

Now building a pen from scratch.....coding the drivers from scratch.....for a company that never made its own active pen before? Rest assured that's no doubt where the delay came from. If such a massive delay was purely driver related on a rebranded pen......from a company that they have had a long partnership with.......that in my opinion reflects very very poorly on Samsung...far more so then them just owning up to their own failed attempt.

7. darkmagistric

Well....technically the Creative Stylus 2 was already cleared by the FCC when Wacom released it last year....given their partnership....Id imagine they could have just swapped it very easily. I'm no expert on The logistics of FCC lisecneing....but I doubt that Presented any significant issue.

However...months back we saw the original Tab Pro S pen......a very different pen from the creative Intuos stylus.......however.....the creative Intuos stylus already existed.....if Samsung had really intended on just using the Creative Intuos Stylus 2 from the get go.....why didn't they just demo the Tab Pro S with that pen since it was already finished? This prototype pen they showcased was utterly unnecessary. And it's not even like this pen was just a ODM redesign....look at the button layout and the placement of the Bluetooth LED.....this pen was distinctly designed different from the Intuos Stylus.
    image.jpeg View attachment 9541

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  8. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I'm repeating myself: you guys are assuming that this pen works on the samsung device by just coding a driver for windows...
    Imho, the matter is more complicated than this and while this is a creative stylus 2 inside and outside, I'm fairly certain it's not as simple as stamping samsung instead of wacom over it.
    I think the firmware inside the stylus had to be rewritten and the pen electrostatic signal emitted had to be registered for a display and touch controller that's different from those of the ipad(s).
    Which means creating/modifying an entire line of production.

P.s.
    What I'd like to understand is if the pen worked as a pen with pressure on the galaxy phone or if it was just a surrogate of a finger. (As it should act on several touch displays)
    I suspect the latter.

Vaga and surfaceproartist like this.
  9. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

Actually that image you posted is almost similar to matepen.
    [​IMG]

and this is C-pen showcased live from CES2016

There is 2 probable scenarios that I can think of. One is that c-pen is actually from the same breed as matepen (some design similarities and wacom sourced) and the second one is that c-pen is indeed Samsung in-house.
    The FCC registered was pretty much for the newer pen as the hardware is final and you don't really need a perfect software to register it. They were tinkering with it till last moment possible, it didn't deliver a satisfying result thus cancelled. Now with this assumption, it is kinda crazy that they would scrap wacom based pen when they could just bleed more money and ask wacom to help them :D but who knows? This is samsung, the same crazies that managed to bloat android for so many years and last year even got floating rumour that google helped them to build faster touchwiz.

Unless someone post the source for FCC that indeed for the relabeled Wacom ICS2 with date/time about the same as tabrpo S, then this FCC story can be interpreted for many things because there are too many odd points like the showcased c-pen from CES2016 turns out completely different with the real product and the leaked one has some similarities with matepen which turns out to be wacom bluetooth as well.

Well, that's all jsut pure conjecture. Someone really need to test both matepen and this "samsung c-pen" so the mysteries can be revealed.

Nope, not really. That can be done from software/driver side and the reason why wacom didn't bother to put it on windows is the same exact reason because windows tablets have all different shapes and resolution thus it is not possible to create an optimized experience for each and every tablets.

Of course this is also conjecture because so far we only see this works on 2 samsung devices, galaxy s6 edge and tabpro s(the video uploader commented that). But based on this information alone, it could be said that most of the doing is in the driver side as s6 edge was released April 2015.

10. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I repeat again what I said on the other thread: it isn't just a matter of software, it's a matter of hardware. On the pen and on the screen.
    The most prominent example of this is the fact the original creative stylus 2 worked (well, worked may be too big a word) on all ipads except the ipad air 2, because the screen+touch were different on that model. And there was nothing wacom could do in their sdk (ios equivalent of a driver) to make it behave properly with that device.

We didn't see this pen working on two devices.
    We did see it really working on the tabpro s and we did see it jotting down marks on the phone, which is something this kind of pen should normally do anyway in ANY touchscreen since it works by mimicking the touch of a finger through electronics. (At least as long as the emitted electrostatic field is compatible with the multi touch hardware on the screen)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.