Samsung started shipping its Bluetooth capacitive Stylus ( C-Pen ) for TabPro S

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alisaad619, Jun 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alisaad619

alisaad619 Scribbler - Standard Member

Earlier this year Samsung launched its first Windows10 2in1 device (the TabPro S) ,but they launched it without its pen ,and now few months after they shipped the device they started shipping the pen ,the pen cost 80$ (and the tablet with its keyboard cost 800$).

This stylus is unique because it’s not an Active ES pen like the iPad and Surface pen ,it’s a capacitive bluetooth stylus so there’s a lot of questions about its quality and accuracy ,and below you can see one of the first videos about the pen stylus.

An interesting discovery from the video is that the C-Pen support the Galaxy S7 (and it does not support the iPhone ) .

To order the C-Pen you can find it on Amazon , Amazon also sells the TabPro S for 800$.

https://windowsink.club/2016/06/28/samsungs-bluetooth-c-pen-start-shipping-for-tabpro-s/

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    stormi likes this.
  2. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

This is as expected ever since Google put native bluetooth pen support for android last year and Samsung decision to give bluetooth pen for tabpro s.
    The demand is lower than before and their solution is simple, higher margin by using in-house product.

I can imagine they will showcase this pen with a new tablet as one of the highlights at IFA in September. They won't change note formula just yet though.

3. Starlight5

Starlight5 Yes, I'm a cat. What else is there to say, really?

Does it mean any Android device running latest Android M and having Bluetooth v4 0 will work with this, or similar, stylus?

4. alisaad619

it's not following a standard , it's samsung tech so for now it's samsung only

5. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

It's not an Active ES Pen. All it is a Samsung rebranded Wacom Intuos Creative Stylus 2....the same one Wacom offered for the iPad for well over a year now. It's strickly Bluetooth and judging from its use in the iPad, a rather poor substitute for a true ES or EMR pen. All Samsung did is put their logo on it, and offered up a Windows/android driver.

6. alisaad619

there was a missing word, corrected it now, it should have said "This stylus is unique because it’s not an Active ES pen like the iPad and Surface pen ,it’s a capacitive bluetooth stylus"

7. cutterline

cutterline Scribbler - Standard Member

I don't know, maybe alisaad619 is correct, implying he already tried it or it is possible as well that it run just fine.

Even if it is for samsung only right now, it's only about time before someone crack it out.

How do you know it is rebranded Wacom? Any source for that?

I thought it would be in-house, otherwise why bother prolonging the release of the product absurdly long.
    Edit: Yeah, it's a rebranded wacom bluetooth pen, making me wonder why the hell they took their sweet time to release something that has existed for a year already.

Wacom's
    [​IMG]
    Samsung's
    [​IMG]

Now, this is disappointing.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    DRTigerlilly likes this.
  8. ATIVQ

ATIVQ V⅁O⅄ Senior Member

The sticker that says "designed by Wacom"

Speaking of which, someone mind uploading the installer for the Samsung Pen update? I'd like to install it on my non-Samsung touchscreen Windows devices and see if they register pressure sensitivity.

Starlight5 likes this.
  9. alisaad619

I think it's not just a rebrand, because the person who made the video tried it with an iPhone and it did not work.

so Samsung did some works to make it compatible with Samsung only, this might be the pen for the future galaxy note phone and tablets.

Bronsky likes this.
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

There was a piece of investor literature released a few months back that indicated Samsung was not happy with their relationship with Wacom for the S-pen.....presumably it wasn't making them the kind of money they had hoped.

My best guess....Samsung probably did try to create their own Bluetooth Pen (If only to kick Wacom to the curb).....but failed miserably .....found themselves in a pickle since the pen was promised to Tab Pro S owners......so Samsung probably went crawling back to Wacom with their tail between their leg. Now EMR requires a Sensor board beneath the screen, and AES requires a controller chip.........so since the Tab Pro S was already released.....at that point, all Wacom could offer Samsung was a re-brand of their own Bluetooth pen.

Bronsky and Starlight5 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.