Samsung Smart Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by desertlap, Nov 16, 2020.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

This is interesting.

Samsung has talked about doing something like this almost since the original DEX. I think what may have finally made it happen is a significant uptick in high end 32 inch TVS from Samsung and others that are being dual purposed as computer monitors and bedroom tvs.

That being said, the only 32 inch TV that I'd actually be able to tolerate for real work is their q60 model.

We've also heard rumors that others such as LG are looking at something similar perhaps using AirPlay2 or chromecast . I think that's possible, but they would need to do something about the latency with either. It's fine for casting a movie for instance, but there is noticeable lag in say using Word

https://apple.news/AGczIuBqFQsuss7XyoPX0gQ

Marty likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've been thinking of doing something like this for while: a clean, mobile-only BOYD setup for the family.

Have you had any experience using these new DEX-compatible wireless transmitters, such as the MOKiN Wireless Display USB-C Hub?

Not ideal, since the dongle still needs to be attached to the mobile device. But if such a hub could be incorporated monitor-side and the USB-C connection done completely wirelessly, it could open a plethora of new 'instant desktop' possibilities.

Any of your clients request such a wire-free setup for presentation rooms, public kiosks, etc.?

3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@Marty We have seen but not actually the Mokin. We will if a customer requests but otherwise not a priority.

More generally it definitely falls in to a the very small niche category.

I do hear of the occasional individual within our customer base that experiments with this and sometimes reaches out to us with some arcane technical questions.

Broadly the extreme majority of our customers that use something like this would use it for remote projection or something similar. And for that the commercial projection vendors such as Box Light have their own apps specifically for that. (and work quite well BTW)

I suspect that these Samsung monitors fall somewhat in to the proof of concept and or to flesh out the eco system. In other words, a customer might be interested in DEX as a key feature in a deployment , and something like this a "nice to know we could if we want to, but we aren't doing it now" type of thing.

Marty likes this.