Samsung SM-P200/P205 (Tab A with S-Pen, 2019)

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Note and Tab' started by Cuberdon75, Feb 26, 2019.

1. ronr9286t

ronr9286t Scribbler - Standard Member

Would you provide a link to the merchant where you purchased the SM P205

Ron

2. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here you go. It's in the Philippines, but I'm pretty sure the e-commerce site is owned by Alibaba cos it looks very much like AliExpress.

https://s.lazada.com.ph/s.81E3

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

3. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm mainly wondering about the processing speed/if it feels laggy in onenote with alot of pictures or laggy pen feel.

I assume that 1080p on such a small screen will look great. And I'm assuming the EMR experience will be great as usual- I did like my old galaxy note 10 tablet from 2014.

djas and nnthemperor like this.
  4. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I am not in the market for a 10" Android tablet, but I truly loved the Tab S Pro. It was a classic device.

$306.88 converted to USD. For LTE! That's a decent price. Wonder if Samsung will be selling this in the US.

Looking forward to your impressions @nnthemperor

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    nnthemperor likes this.
  5. paprikaleapt

paprikaleapt Scribbler - Standard Member

Excuse my nooby question so once you buy an LTE device, is the below what you need to do to get it working?

My guess based on this
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4036286/surface-set-up-your-surface-3g-4g-lte

Assuming you use verizon for phones,
    1. Buy the device
    2. Figure out what SIM card size you need, hopefully the device specs will mention it?
    3. Go to verizon store.
    4. Buy a SIM card from them and ask them to stick it in the tablet?
    5. Pay verizon for some kind of data plan? On top of what you pay for your phone plan with them?

6. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

1. Yes.
    2. Yes.
    3. Yes.
    4. Yes. No. I can install my own sim.
    5. Yes. If you intend using your tablet connected. Verizon charges $10 a month if you already have a family plan.

I also want to use the tablet's GPS for navigating my sailboat so it's easier to rationalize the cost.

nnthemperor and paprikaleapt like this.
  7. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So quick response (and gripe). Someone asked me if I'd seen the new 8 inch tab A. Answer was not yet , but probably more concerning to US customers, according to what I heard Friday, there are not currently plans to bring this specific model to the US.

However it's possible it may come to the US with LTE as a carrier exclusive (probably Verizon) but that's all still being worked on.

And the gripe: We did get the Tab S5e in for evaluation. Before I complain , I will say this may be the nicest physical android tablet Samsung has released yet. Nice slim bezels, metal and thin back, clicky buttons and almost searing brightness on the screen

So now for the bad..

I gave it to my dad to setup and try out. He's a big news paper reader and has multiple online subscriptions. He currently uses an ancient iPad 2 which now has a battery life of about 40 minutes.

I gave it to him and was in with my mom and after about 15 minutes I heard a grumbled "Dam*n it! Followed a couple of minutes later by a louder WTF.

So the short answer is that between Android checking for updates, the play store downloading app updates and Samsung wanting to update it's own apps, the tablet crashed not once, but twice, both times sending him back to the very beginning of setting up the tablet.

That coupled with the ridiculously short default screen time out of 30 seconds, he thought the tablet had died a couple more times on top of that when in reality the screen just went dark

The solution was to manually set each part up, skipping all the guided options.

My dad is reasonably tech savvy (retired chemical engineer) but he told me that if he'd bought this himself he'd be on his way back to the store to return it. And yes, he was looking at one of these to purchase himself.

Contrast this with setting up either an iPad or a Microsoft Surface device. While they both can be a bit time consuming, the setup process is almost bulletproof unless you have a poor internet connection.

This is a major issue that Samsung needs to have bigger success in the US consumer market.

Ok, end of griping and yes I do intend to relay my Dad's experience to our rep.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Tams and nnthemperor like this.
  8. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, the Tab A plus was only meant for the cheaper markets, so I read. It's only available in the Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam, Indonesia, new Zealand, and the U.K ( don't understand what's up with the U.K inclusion).

I understand your dad's frustrations, the first thing I do on a Samsung Android device is to disable any of their apps that I can, and replace the Samsung UI with Google's or, more recently, Microsoft launcher.

I don't expect the Tab A to be aesthetically pleasing or super fast, it's as thick as the GB 10.6. Still, $300 for an LTE model, S pen and 8", I think it's a good purchase.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

desertlap likes this.
  9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And see that's my point, the members of this forum are a self selecting group that will both put up with those glitches and know how to get around them.
    The typical consumer wont bother, and they shouldn't.

I had a Best Buy manager tell me that in general the return rate on Android tablets was almost triple what it was on iPads. And the lower prices on Android tablets also mean lower margins which makes it an even bigger issue.

Love them or hate them and their walled gardens and lock ins but once you are in Apple's domain, you are at least a well cared for prisoner.

darkmagistric likes this.
  10. djas

djas Graffiti User

Re: iPad: Has an 12.9 Pro lying around in the house since the Mrs got a Mini 5. Had a look twice at it a couple weekends ago between my Japan commute and for the life of me, just couldn't use it. Not an Apple person at all.

I can set up a new Samsung phones/tablets with both eyes shut... hehe. Just sign in to my Samsung account and hit restore. Apps and settings automagically install with minimum user interactions. btw, Sansung cloud give you 15GB free storage spaces. All my past and present Samsung devices' backups reside there.

I might take a look at this Tab A Plus. Really miss my old 2015 model that I stupidly gave away.

desertlap and nnthemperor like this.